The   Air   Force   Academy   Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   (Building   880)   is   located   in   the   northeast   quadrant   of   the former   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   in   Aurora,   Colorado.   The   building   is   one   of   seven   still   standing   that   are   historically associated   with   the   interim Air   Force Academy   that   operated   on   the   base   during   1955-58.   Lowry,   established   in   1937, is   currently   being   redeveloped   for   residential,   retail,   and   public   uses. The   block   on   which   Building   880   is   located   was once    filled    with    rectangular    cadet    dormitories    surrounding    a    central    open    space.    Building    880,    which    faces southwest,   stands   alone   at   the   southern   end   of   its   block.   The   recently   rehabilitated   1942   building   is   distinguished   by its   H-shaped   plan.   The   one-story   frame   building   has   horizontal   board   drop   siding   with   corner   boards,   a   gabled   roof with   composition   roofing   and   overhanging   eaves,   eight-over-eight-light   doublehung   sash   windows,   and   a   concrete block   foundation   (Photograph   1).   A   multi-story   brick   chimney,   stepped   out   from   the   center   of   the   façade,   is   a distinguishing   feature.   The   building   now   serves   as   a   community   center   for   the   City   of Aurora   and   houses   a   preschool, before/after   school   child   care   center,   and   adult   day   care   facility.   Of   the   extant   buildings   associated   with   the Academy,   the   Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   retains   the   highest   degree   of   historic   physical   integrity   and   is considered most representative of the cadet era on the base.
Back Back
Last Updated: 01/07/2018
Commandant of Cadets Building Building 880

Building 880

[GPS N39°43'47.69", W104°52'40.65”]
The   Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   (Building   880)   has   a   national   level   of   significance   under   Criterion   A   in   the   area of   Military   as   the   most   intact   remaining   resource   associated   with   the   original   site   of   the   United   States   Air   Force Academy   at   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   during   1955-58.   While   the   permanent   home   of   the   Air   Force   Academy   was   under construction   north   of   Colorado   Springs,   a   portion   of   Lowry   in   Aurora,   Colorado,   served   as   its   interim   home   for   the first   three   classes   of   cadets.   Dedication   of   the   school   in   July   1955   marked   the   first   creation   of   a   major   military academy   in   the   country   since   1845.   Founding   of   the   Academy   followed   the   designation   of   the   U.S.   Air   Force   as   a separate branch of the military in 1947 and marked recognition of the importance of air power in the Cold War era. Housed   in   refurbished   World   War   II   era   frame   buildings,   the   first   three   classes   at   the   new   institution   began   their education   at   Lowry Air   Force   Base.   Young   lieutenants   known   as   “Air   Training   Officers”   served   as   upper   classmen   (Air Training   Officers)   through   the   summer   of   1957.   While   at   Lowry   many   of   the   fundamental   traditions   of   the   “West Point   of   the   Air”   were   inaugurated,   including   a   cadet   honor   code   and   class   system,   adherence   to   rigorous   academic standards,   adoption   of   the   falcon   mascot,   and   participation   in   intercollegiate   athletics.   President   Eisenhower   wrote of   the   importance   of   the   Academy’s   pioneer   class   in   influencing   the   direction   of   the   institution:   “The   standards   of intellect,   obedience   and   leadership   which   have   been   established   by   the   Class   of   1959   will   bear   strongly   upon   the growth of future tradition.” The   survival   of   Building   880   as   a   representative   of   the Academy   at   Lowry AFB   is   particularly   fitting,   as   it   housed   the Commandant    of    Cadets,    who    was    responsible    for    airmanship,    military,    and    physical    training,    including    the development   of   such   traits   as   leadership,   character,   and   ethics   that   would   mold   the   cadets   into   Air   Force   officers. Maj.   Gen.   Harold   W.   “Pete”   Todd   (retired),   a   member   of   the   first   graduating   class,   observed   that   the   Commandant’s building   was   “the   Citadel   of   Honor,   the   place   where   the   true   core   of   the   Air   Force   Academy   lay,”   which   uniquely embodied “the essence of the training in character, discipline, and integrity at the fledgling Academy.”
Google Earth Link to Bldg. 27
#1.   The   Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   (Building   880)   is   the   H-shaped   building   in the    foreground    pictured    in    this    c.    1955-56    oblique    aerial    photograph    (view northwest).   SOURCE:   U.S.   Air   Force   Academy   Library,   photographic   collection, provided through National Registry documentation, Figure 1.
#2.   Figure   10.   Between   1983   and   1994,   the   Lowry   Heritage   Center   occupied Building    880,    shown    here    in    a    1980s    view.    SOURCE:   Aurora    History    Museum, photographic    collection,    provided    through    National    Registry    documentation, Figure 10.
#3. Building 880, August 2017.
The Commandant of Cadets Building 880, 1955-56.  [USAF Academy Library] The Commandant of Cadets Building 880, 1955-56.  [USAF Academy Library] The Commandant of Cadets Building 880, 1955-56.  [USAF Academy Library] 1980's view of Building 880, as the Lowry Heritage Center (1983-1994).  [Aurora History Museum] 1980's view of Building 880, as the Lowry Heritage Center (1983-1994).  [Aurora History Museum] 1980's view of Building 880, as the Lowry Heritage Center (1983-1994).  [Aurora History Museum] Building 880, August 2017.  [George Blood] Building 880, August 2017.  [George Blood] Building 880, August 2017.  [George Blood] Building 880 Repurposed.  [George Blood] Building 880 Repurposed.  [George Blood] Building 880 Repurposed.  [George Blood]
#4.   Building   880,   once   the   USAF Academy’s   Commandant   of   Cadet’s   Building,   has been    repurposed    into    housing    several    new    endeavors,    including    the    Lowry Intergenerational    Center,    the    Morning    Star   Adult    Day    Program,    and    a    Lowry Preschool.   It   was   assigned   a   new   address   with   the   closure   of   Lowry   in   1994:   1016 Boston Street.
1016 Boston Street
Aurora, CO
Commandant of Cadets Building 880
Building 880
The Air   Force Academy   Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   (Building   880) is   located   in   the   northeast   quadrant   of   the   former   Lowry   Air   Force Base   in   Aurora,   Colorado.   The   building   is   one   of   seven   still   standing that   are   historically   associated   with   the   interim   Air   Force   Academy that   operated   on   the   base   during   1955-58.   Lowry,   established   in   1937, is   currently   being   redeveloped   for   residential,   retail,   and   public   uses. The   block   on   which   Building   880   is   located   was   once   filled   with rectangular    cadet    dormitories    surrounding    a    central    open    space. Building   880,   which   faces   southwest,   stands   alone   at   the   southern end    of    its    block.    The    recently    rehabilitated    1942    building    is distinguished   by   its   H-shaped   plan.   The   one-story   frame   building   has horizontal   board   drop   siding   with   corner   boards,   a   gabled   roof   with composition    roofing    and    overhanging    eaves,    eight-over-eight-light doublehung     sash     windows,     and     a     concrete     block     foundation (Photograph   1).   A   multi-story   brick   chimney,   stepped   out   from   the center   of   the   façade,   is   a   distinguishing   feature.   The   building   now serves   as   a   community   center   for   the   City   of   Aurora   and   houses   a preschool,   before/after   school   child   care   center,   and   adult   day   care facility.   Of   the   extant   buildings   associated   with   the   Academy,   the Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   retains   the   highest   degree   of   historic physical   integrity   and   is   considered   most   representative   of   the   cadet era on the base. The   Commandant   of   Cadets   Building   (Building   880)   has   a   national level   of   significance   under   Criterion   A   in   the   area   of   Military   as   the most   intact   remaining   resource   associated   with   the   original   site   of the   United   States   Air   Force   Academy   at   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   during 1955-58.   While   the   permanent   home   of   the   Air   Force   Academy   was under   construction   north   of   Colorado   Springs,   a   portion   of   Lowry   in Aurora,    Colorado,    served    as    its    interim    home    for    the    first    three classes   of   cadets.   Dedication   of   the   school   in   July   1955   marked   the first   creation   of   a   major   military   academy   in   the   country   since   1845. Founding   of   the   Academy   followed   the   designation   of   the   U.S.   Air Force    as    a    separate    branch    of    the    military    in    1947    and    marked recognition of the importance of air power in the Cold War era. Housed   in   refurbished   World   War   II   era   frame   buildings,   the   first   three classes   at   the   new   institution   began   their   education   at   Lowry   Air Force   Base.   Young   lieutenants   known   as   “Air   Training   Officers”   served as   upper   classmen   (Air Training   Officers)   through   the   summer   of   1957. While   at   Lowry   many   of   the   fundamental   traditions   of   the   “West   Point of   the   Air”   were   inaugurated,   including   a   cadet   honor   code   and   class system,   adherence   to   rigorous   academic   standards,   adoption   of   the falcon     mascot,     and     participation     in     intercollegiate     athletics. President    Eisenhower    wrote    of    the    importance    of    the   Academy’s pioneer   class   in   influencing   the   direction   of   the   institution:   “The standards   of   intellect,   obedience   and   leadership   which   have   been established   by   the   Class   of   1959   will   bear   strongly   upon   the   growth   of future tradition.” The   survival   of   Building   880   as   a   representative   of   the   Academy   at Lowry   AFB   is   particularly   fitting,   as   it   housed   the   Commandant   of Cadets,   who   was   responsible   for   airmanship,   military,   and   physical training,    including    the    development    of    such    traits    as    leadership, character,    and    ethics    that    would    mold    the    cadets    into   Air    Force officers.   Maj.   Gen.   Harold   W.   “Pete”   Todd   (retired),   a   member   of   the first   graduating   class,   observed   that   the   Commandant’s   building   was “the   Citadel   of   Honor,   the   place   where   the   true   core   of   the Air   Force Academy   lay,”   which   uniquely   embodied   “the   essence   of   the   training in character, discipline, and integrity at the fledgling Academy.”
Google Earth Link to Bldg. 27
#1.     The     Commandant     of     Cadets     Building (Building   880)   is   the   H-shaped   building   in   the foreground   pictured   in   this   c.   1955-56   oblique aerial    photograph    (view    northwest).    SOURCE: U.S.   Air    Force   Academy    Library,    photographic    collection,    provided through National Registry documentation, Figure 1.
#2.    Figure    10.    Between    1983    and    1994,    the Lowry   Heritage   Center   occupied   Building   880, shown   here   in   a   1980s   view.   SOURCE:   Aurora History      Museum,      photographic      collection, provided through National Registry documentation, Figure 10.
#3. Building 880, August 2017.
The Commandant of Cadets Building 880, 1955-56.  [USAF Academy Library] The Commandant of Cadets Building 880, 1955-56.  [USAF Academy Library] The Commandant of Cadets Building 880, 1955-56.  [USAF Academy Library] 1980's view of Building 880, as the Lowry Heritage Center (1983-1994).  [Aurora History Museum] 1980's view of Building 880, as the Lowry Heritage Center (1983-1994).  [Aurora History Museum] 1980's view of Building 880, as the Lowry Heritage Center (1983-1994).  [Aurora History Museum] Building 880, August 2017.  [George Blood] Building 880, August 2017.  [George Blood] Building 880, August 2017.  [George Blood] Building 880 Repurposed.  [George Blood] Building 880 Repurposed.  [George Blood] Building 880 Repurposed.  [George Blood]
#4.    Building    880,    once    the    USAF    Academy’s Commandant    of    Cadet’s    Building,    has    been repurposed   into   housing   several   new   endeavors, including    the    Lowry    Intergenerational    Center, the    Morning    Star    Adult    Day    Program,    and    a Lowry   Preschool.   It   was   assigned   a   new   address   with   the   closure   of Lowry in 1994: 1016 Boston Street.
1016 Boston Street
Aurora, CO 80230
[GPS N39°43'47.69", W104°52'40.65”]
Last Updated: 01/07/2018