Hangar 1, Building 401Lowry’scurrentBuilding401,Hangar1,(shownencircledinred)wasre-purposed as the “Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Museum.
Building 349Onetimebarracks,photoschool,thenHeadquartersbuildingforLowry Field/AFB.Buildingwasrepurposedandisknowntodayasthe“GrandLowry Lofts.”
Building 27Oneof4ChapelsbuiltonLowryduringthedecades,Chapel#1,Building27, remainsandisknownas“TheEisenhowerChapel.”Chapelhasbeenrepurposed, availableforweddingsandotherspecialevents,andishometotheLowry Foundation’s offices.
Building 361Lowry’sSteamPlantprovidedheatingforLowry’sbuildings.Buildingre-purposed in 2003 and is today known as “The Steam Plant Lofts.”
Building 357LowryField/AFB’sFireDepartment.Buildingre-purposedandisknowntodayas the“JohnHandTheater,”apartoftheColoradoFreeUniversity’s infrastructure.
Building 353Lowry’sBaseTheater,builtin1941.Buildingre-purposedandisknowntodayas part of the “International School of Denver.”
NewbuildingsemergedonLowryasmissionneedsandoriginalpurposeswereidentifiedfromitsearlybeginningsin 1937,whenmanyofLowryField'soccupantslivedintents,through30September,1994whenLowry AFBwasofficially closed.ThededicatedmaintenanceandupkeepofthosebuildingsbytheUSAFresultedinacontinuedexisting infrastructureasisattestedtobythepresenceofover20ofLowry’sbuildingswhichhavebeen“repurposed,” morphedintobuildingsplayingcompletelydifferentrolesintheLowrycommunityoftoday.Threeofthesebuildings have been added to the National Registry of Historic Places by the National Park Service.SYMBOLSBuildings added to the National Registry Buildings remaining on Lowry which have been “repurposed” Google Earth Presentation Image has additional magnification level Associated Photo(s)
Building 379Building379,22Jan1942,renumberedasBuilding130afterbeingre-purposed. A twin construction to Building 380, originally served as Lowry’s Armament School.
Building 380Building380isatwinconstructiontoBuilding379,providedinstructioninstill, motion,andaerialphotography.TheschoolhadoriginatedatChanute AFB,ILbut wasmovedtoLowryField.ClasseswereoriginallyheldinBuilding349. Designated today as building 125 after being re-purposed.
New buildings emerged on Lowry as mission needs and original purposes were identified from its early beginnings in 1937, when many of Lowry Field's occupants lived in tents, through 30 September, 1994 when Lowry AFB was officially closed. The dedicated maintenance and upkeep of those buildings by the USAF resulted in a continued existing infrastructure as is attested to by the presence of over 20 of Lowry’s buildings which have been “repurposed,” morphed into buildings playing completely different roles in the Lowry community of today. Three of these buildings have been added to the National Registry of Historic Places by the National Park Service.SYMBOLS Buildings added to the National Registry Buildings remaining on Lowry which have been “repurposed” Google Earth Presentation Image has additional magnification level Associated Photo(s)
Hangar 1, Building 401Lowry’s current Building 401, Hangar 1, (shown encircled in red) was re-purposed as the “Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Museum .
Building 349One time barracks, photo school, then Headquarters building for Lowry Field/AFB. Building was repurposed and is known today as the “Grand Lowry Lofts.”
Building 27One of 4 Chapels built on Lowry during the decades, Chapel #1, Building 27, remains and is known as “The Eisenhower Chapel.” Chapel has been repurposed, available for weddings and other special events, and is the home to the Lowry Foundation’s offices.
Building 361Lowry’s Steam Plant provided heating for Lowry’s buildings. Building re-purposed in 2003 and is today known as “The Steam Plant Lofts.”
Building 357Lowry Field/AFB’s Fire Department. Building re-purposed and is known today as the “John Hand Theater,” a part of the Colorado Free University’s infrastructure.
Building 353Lowry’s Base Theater, built in 1941. Building re-purposed and is known today as part of the “International School of Denver.”
Building 379Building 379, 22 Jan 1942, renumbered as Building 130 after being re-purposed. A twin construction to Building 380, originally served as Lowry’s Armament School.
Building 380Building 380 is a twin construction to Building 379, provided instruction in still, motion, and aerial photography. The school had originated at Chanute AFB, IL but was moved to Lowry Field. Classes were originally held in Building 349. Designated today as building 125 after being re-purposed.
Building 1499The “Black Hangar.” Special Weapons Training was once taught in this secure environment known simply as the “Black Hangar,” which has been re-purposed and known today as the “Big Bear Ice Arena.”
Building 880Originally built in 1942, Building 880 functioned as the Commandant of Cadets Building, U. S. Air Force Academy, from 1955-1958.
Lowry’s Wooden BarracksLowry’s WWII vintage T-Building wooden barracks were similar in design to barracks built at each military post/base around the united states.
Building 256The Agnes Phipps Memorial Sanitorium conversion into Lowry Field’s Headquarters and school buildings began on 4 October 1937. Classes began on 28 February 1938. (1948 photo).
Hangar 2, Building 402Lowry’s current Building 402, Hangar 2, (shown encircled in red) and was re-purposed into Lowry retail, offices, restaurants, and storage facilities.
Buildings 363, 364Lowry’s original hangers. There were four original hangars associated with Lowry Field as shown encircled in red. Up and to the right of the four hangars you can see Hangar #1 (re-designated in 1966 as Hangar #2), Building 402, built between August 1938 and August 1939. The original Phipps Sanatorium buildings can be seen at the SE intersection of Quebec and 6th Avenue.