LOWRY AFB The History
Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44 Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44 Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44

Commanders

Original Publication:  04/05/2017  09:16
 Last Updated:  01/08/2018  09:29
Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38 Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38 Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38
Lowry   had   33   commanders   during   its   57   years   of   outstanding   service   as   it   grew   from   a   small Army Air   Force   Field   to   a large   U.   S.   Air   Force   Base.      Lowry’s   first   commander   was   an   Army   Lieutenant   Colonel,   its   last   an   Air   Force   Colonel.     During   the   57   years   of   its   existence   the   Base   Commander’s   seat   was   occupied   by   1   Lt.   Col.,   6   Colonels,   7   Brigadier Generals   (1   Star),   17   Major   Generals   (2   Stars),   1   Lieutenant   General   (3   Stars)   and   1   General   (4   Stars).      These commanders   transformed   Lowry   from   a   Tuberculosis   Sanatorium   and   open   prairie   to   one   of   the   most   technically oriented   training   facilities   of   its   time.      Training    missions    associated    with    each    commander’s    term    of    service    would   change   as   necessity   dictated   to   reflect   unfolding   events   around   the   globe,   thus   assuring   the   United   States   would always be in a position to defend her sovereignty and the well-being of her allies in their time of need.
01. Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38 Lieutenant   Colonel   Stetson,   then   a   Captain,   commanded   Lowry   Field   when   it   was   known as    the    Denver    Branch,   Air    Corps    Technical    School.   A    quartermaster    at    Ft.    Logan, Colorado,   he   was   placed   in   charge   of   activating   the   new   flying   field   and   preparing   the Agnes   Phipps   Memorial   Sanatorium   buildings   for   use   as   a   school.   Under   his   command,   on 1 October 1937 the United States flag flew over the field for the first time.
Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38 Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38 Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38
02. Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38 As   Commandant   of   the   Air   Corps   Technical   School   at   Chanute   Field,   Illinois,   General Jones,   then   a   Lieutenant   Colonel,   supervised   the   transfer   of   the   Armament   School   and Photo   School   to   Lowry.   Assigned   to   command   Lowry,   he   met   the   first   cadre   of   students as   they   arrived   by   train   on   12   February.   Lowry’s   first   class   graduated   from   the Armament Department   on   19   March. The   first   aircraft   —   nine   B-18s   —   landed   on   the   new   runway   on 30 June 1938.
Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40 Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40 Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40
03. Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40 General   Rudolph   commanded   at   Lowry   Field   while   much   of   its   most   important   early construction   took   place.   On   19   September   1938,   work   began   on   Hanger   No.   1.   On   7 October   1940,   Lowry   formally   accepted   Budding   349.   Known   as   the   “Brick   Barracks,”   the structure    housed    Lowry’s    permanent    party    personnel.    Other    construction    included runways,   NCO/Officer   housing,   and   wood-frame   student   barracks.   Lowry   also   added   a third department, Clerical,  to its training program.
Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42 Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42 Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42
04. Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42

It fell to General Duncan, then Colonel, to announce the Japanese attack at Pearl

Harbor on 7 December 1941 to Lowry personnel and to lead the base to war.

Preparation for that conflict, however, had begun much earlier. The prewar military

draft had its first impact on Lowry 13 July 1941 when more than 1,200 students

arrived — the first massive student increase in the airfield’s history. To handle the

expanded training demands, Lowry began to train under a two-shift system.

Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43 Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43 Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43
05. Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43 General   Burwell   commanded   Lowry   during   the   early   part   of   World   War   II.     Aircraft   at   the field   consisted   of   virtually   every   army   plane   in   the   inventory   including   P-38s,   P-40s,   P- 51s,   B-17s,   and   B-25s.      Students   at   Lowry   also   trained   on   the   Norden   bomb   sight.      The first   inter-service   training   at   Lowry   of   any   magnitude   began   when   Marines   from   Cherry Point, North Carolina began receiving instruction in power-operated gun turrets.
06. Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44 The   diversity   in   personnel   being   trained   at   Lowry   increased   during   General   Sneed’s tenure   in   command.   On   17 April   1943,   the   first   class   of   black   airmen   graduated   from   the Photography   School.   On   the   same   day,   that   school   also   graduated   Lowry’s   first   class   of females   from   the   Women’s   Army   Air   Corps.   Political   glamour   touched   Lowry   on   24   April 1943   when   President   Franklin   D.   Roosevelt   toured   the   field   as   part   of   an   inspection   tour of American military facilities.
Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44 Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44 Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44
07. Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44 Colonel   Todd   was   actually   interim   commander   from   19 August   until   14   November   and   then permanent   Commander   until   8   December.   During   his   short   tenure,   Lowry’s   flying   mission changed   with   arrival   of   the   mighty   four-engined   B-29s. The   Superfortresses   came   as   a   part of   the   transfer   of   the   Flight   Engineering   School   from   Smoky   Hill Air   Field   at   Salina,   Kansas, in October 1944.
Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45 Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45 Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45
08. Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45 Colonel   Patrick   commanded   Lowry   Field   at   the   end   of   World   War   II   and   supervised   the transition to a peacetime Army   Air   Force.   Before   the   war   ended,   Lowry   opened   a   new school   specializing   in   B-29   crew   training.   On   8   May   1945   however,   Lowry   celebrated   the surrender   of   Germany   and   the   end   of   war   in   Europe   ---   VE   Day.      Colonel   Patrick   announced the   surrender   of   the   Japanese   on   14   August   1945.      With   the   end   of   World   War   II,   Lowry’s training   Mission   declined,   the   field   abandoned   its   three-shift   wartime   training   schedule, and its personnel resumed the slower pace of peacetime operations.
Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47 Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47 Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47
09. Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47 Under   General   Lowe,   Lowry   spent   most   of   its   last   days   as   an   army   field.   During   his tenure,    Lowry    established    Provisional    Squadrons    within    the    regularly    constituted squadrons.    These    were    designed    to    allow    squadron    commanders    to    exercise    better supervision   of   personnel.   The   training   program   was   severely   impacted   during   February 1946   by   an   epidemic   of   disease   that   forced   the   schools   to   close   for   two   weeks.   Lowry received   an   important   visitor   on   17   February   1946   when   General   of   the Armies   Dwight   D. Eisenhower toured the facility.
Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48 Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48 Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48
10. Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48 Brigadier   General   Beam,   then   a   Colonel,   supervised   the   transition   from   Lowry   Field   to Lowry Air   Force   Base   as   the Army Air   Force   became   the   United   States Air   Force.   President Harry   S.   Truman   signed   the   National   Security   Act   creating   the   Department   of   Defense   on 26   July   1947. As   a   result,   the   USAF   came   into   being   on   18   September   1947.   The   effects   at Lowry   included   creation   of   the   3415th   Technical   Training   Wing   on   26 August   1948   to   serve as its training organization.
Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50 Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50 Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50
11. Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50 In   the   tranquil   days   prior   to   the   Korean   War,   Lowry AFB   was   busy   continuing   its   training   for and   responding   to   the   needs   of   the   newly   established Air   Force.   General   Carter’s   tenure   in command   featured   visits   by   two   important   individuals.   On   25   July   1949,   Secretary   of   the Air   Force   Stuart   Symington   arrived   at   the   base.   On   6   August   1949,   General   Eisenhower returned to Lowry for a short visit. Mrs. Eisenhower’s family home was in Denver.
Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50 Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50 Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50
12. Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50 Under   General   Caldwell,   Lowry   once   again   went   to   war.   In   June   1950,   North   Korean   troops invaded   South   Korea   and   President Truman   committed   United   States   forces   to   the   fighting. Lowry’s   training   mission   intensified   in   support   of   USAF   operations.   In   the   autumn   of   1950, a   flexible   gunnery   course   was   implemented.   Much   of   Lowry’s   training   mission   began   to change.   The   addition   of   courses   in   rocket   propulsion   and   missile   guidance   systems   pointed to    the    future.   The    appearance    of    Lowry    personnel    also    changed    as    new    USAF    blue uniforms began to replace Army green uniforms.
Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56 Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56 Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56
13. Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56 During   General   Sprague’s   tenure,   Lowry’s   training   program   saw   continued   change,   and Lowry   experienced   a   great   deal   of   glamour.   Older   courses   such   as   aircraft   gunnery   were discontinued   and   the   teaching   of   new   subjects   like   missile   fundamentals   entered   the program. Glamour came from a President. In   1953,   1954,   and   1955,   Lowry   received   national   prominence   as   the   “Summer   White House”   of   President   Eisenhower   who   made   his   office   in   the   old   administration   building. More   glamour   was   added   in   1954   when   the   USAF   established   the   Air   Force   Academy   at Lowry while its permanent buildings were built near Colorado Springs.
Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60 Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60 Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60
14. Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60 While    General    Mussett    commanded    Lowry,    the    Air    Force    Academy    facilities    near Colorado   Springs   were   completed.   On   30   and   31   August   1958,   the   cadets   moved   to   the permanent   site.   The   703d   Strategic   Missile   Wing   was   activated   at   Lowry   in   1958   and   in June   1959   construction   began   on   Titan   missile   sites   on   the   unused   Lowry   Bomb   Range, later   known   as   Lowry   Missile   Range   No.   1.   At   Lowry,   a   major   organizational   change occurred   on   1   January   1959;   the   3415th   Technical   Training   Wing   officially   became   Lowry Technical Training Center.
Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60 Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60 Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60
15. Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60 Colonel   Eskridge   served   as   interim   commander   of   Lowry   for   three   months   prior   to   the arrival   of   Major   General   Charles   H. Anderson.   During   this   period,   Lowry   became   involved in   America’s   space   program   when   an   SM-68   Reentry   Vehicle   Troubleshooting   Trainer   was installed.   Accepted   29   July   1960,   this   equipment   provided   Research   and   Development type information.
16. Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 General Anderson   served   as   Lowry’s   commander   longer   than   any   other   officer.   During   his tenure,   the   Center   Headquarters   moved   from   Building   256   to   Building   349   on   7   July 1961.   Building   256   was   once   part   of   the   Phipps   Memorial   Sanatorium   that   comprised   the original   buildings   at   Lowry. All   the   old   Sanatorium   buildings   were   then   destroyed   except the   General’s   home.   Between   15   April   and   25   June   1965,   the   Strategic   Air   Command removed   its   Titan   missiles   and   closed   Lowry   Missile   Range   No.   1.   Perhaps   the   saddest milestone   of   all   —   on   30   June   1966,   Lowry’s   last   runway   closed.   A   T-29   made   the   last take-off    and    Lowry’s    flying    mission    closed    forever.    Also    during    June    1966,    Lowry received   a   new   addition   when   the   3320th   Retraining   Group   transferred   in   from Amarillo Technical Training Center, Texas.
Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71 Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71 Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71
17. Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71 The   latter   part   of   General   Monteith’s   tenure   as   commander   was   characterized   by   morale and    service    related    construction    for    Lowry    personnel.   The    Colorado    National    Bank opened   a   Lowry   branch   2   January   1971.   This   building   was   followed   by   the   opening   of Lowry’s   golf   course.   Permanent   party   personnel,   students,   and   the   growing   retired community   were   served   by   a   new   commissary   opened   on   28   June   1971.   On   the   last   day of   General   Monteith’s   command,   31   July   1971,   a   military   tradition   ended   at   Lowry   —   the USAF abolished Kitchen Police (KP) duties.
Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72 Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72 Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72
18. Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72 Reflecting   the   trends   of   the   early   1970s,   efforts   toward   enhancing   morale   and   removing social   inequalities   of   Lowry   personnel   took   place   under   General   Samuel.   On   24   August 1971,   Lowry   established   its   Office   of   Social   Actions.   On   10   September,   the   Human Relations   Council   held   its   first   meeting.   Ground   breaking   ceremonies   were   held   on   21 May   1972   for   Lowry’s   new   chapel.   Changes   in   the   training   program   continued.   On   1   July 1972,   Lowry   became   home   of   the   USAF   Open   Mess   Management   School   and   USAF   Cook’s School.
General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73 General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73 General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73
19. General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73 Construction   for   the   1970s   begun   under   Generals   Monteith   and   Samuel   continued   under General   Slay.   On   28   December   1972,   Building   400,   a   new   1   000-man   dormitory,   was completed.   Lowry   also   conducted   a   major   reorganization   of   the   3415th   Maintenance   and Supply   Group   on   1   March   19   73,   activating   three   new   squadrons:   Transportation,   Supply, and   Maintenance.   On   1   January   1973,   fourteen   new   USAF   career   specialties   opened   to Air   Force   women.   Women   in   the   Air   Force   were   thus   accepted   in   all   but   a   few   jobs involving combat flying.
Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75 Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75 Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75
20. Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75 Under   General   Pattillo,   Lowry   completed   a   new   187-space   mobile   home   park   on   9   June 1974.   The   base   training   mission   changed   slightly   on   16   October   1973   when   the   last Explosive   Ordnance   Disposal   class   graduated;   responsibility   for   this   training   was   assumed by   the   U.   S.   Navy.   Much   of   General   Pattillo’s   efforts   were   centered   around   changes   in the   3320th   Retraining   Group.   On   1   July   1974,   the   3320th   implemented   a   retraining   test program   for   women.   The   Group   also   moved   into   a   brand   new,   five-building   complex during the week of 21 April 1974.
Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76 Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76 Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76
21. Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76 Under   General   Moore,   on   30   April   1976   several   training   Departments   ---Audiovisual, Aerospace   Munitions   Training,   Intelligence   Training,   and   Logistics   became,   respectively, the   3430th,   3460th,   3450th   and   3440th   Technical   Training   Groups.   Lowry   and   Public Service   Company   of   Colorado   also   began   a   program   to   increase   the   base’s   electrical capacity   in   anticipation   of   future   training   needs.   On   30   September   1976,   the   new   Air Force   Accounting   and   Finance   Center   located   on   the   southwest   comer   of   Lowry   was dedicated.
Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78 Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78 Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78
22. Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78 The   major   event   of   General   Pringle’s   tenure   in   command   was   the   reorganization   of   the Technical   Training   Center   implemented   on   1   January   1978.   The   reorganization   was designed   to   reduce   structural   layering,   lower   the   decision   making   level,   and   streamline the staff. The reorganization eliminated 91 military and civilian positions.
Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79 Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79 Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79
23. Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79 While    General    Hoover    commanded    Lowry,    the    process    of    streamlining    the    training organization   continued.   The   3420th   and   3430th   Technical   Training   Groups   merged   on   1 June   1978   to   become   the   3420th   Technical   Training   Group.   Also,   on   1   June,   Lowry’s USAF   Technical   School   received   accreditation   for   a   10-year   period.   The   North   Central Association   (NCA)   of   Colleges   and   Schools   provided   the   accreditation,   thus   allowing students to receive college credit for courses taken at Lowry.
Rank and Insignia for U. S. Army and Air Force Officers
Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81 Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81 Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81
24. Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81 During   General   Maxson’s   tenure,   one   element   of   the   1978   reorganization   was   undone; the   3400th   Technical   Training   Wing   replaced   the   Deputy   Commander   for   training,   thus enhancing   the   importance   of   the   training   mission.   During   1980   Lowry   received   two   B-52s and   an   F-16   to   provide   realistic,   hands-on   training   for   students.   On   1   March   1980,   Lowry implemented   the   Pipeline   Management   System,   a   computer-based   method   of   controlling the flow of students through the training pipeline.
25. Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 General   Hall   commanded   Lowry   Technical   Training   Center   (LTTC)   during   a   period   that saw   a   rapid   increase   in   student   population.   To   support   this   increase   required   major emphasis   on   upgrading   the   aircraft   training   fleet   and   Lowry   facilities.   General   Hall’s personal   involvement   helped   LTTC   secure   a   modern   A-10   Thunderbolt   II,   F-16   Fighting Falcon,   and   an   F-4E   Phantom   in   support   of   technical   training.   The   Center   opened   the new   Avionics   Training   Building,   and   re-roofed   Hangers   #1   and   #2.   General   Hall   directed creation   of   a   new   INTRO   Building   to   provide   a   single   point   of   contact   for   all   personnel entering   Lowry.   In   support   of   recreational   activities,   Lowry’s   initial   construction   opened a   new   solar   pavilion   for   picnics   and   a   modern   bowling   alley.   General   Hall’s   personal interest   led   to   Chapel   #1   becoming   a   Denver   Historical   Landmark,   and   the   Department of the Interior listed it on the National Register of Historic Places.
Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985 Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985 Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985
26. Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985 Major   General   William   R.   Usher   served   as   the   LTTC   Commander   from   1   June   1982   until 14 August   1985.      He   stressed   excellence   in   training   and   the   need   for   wartime   readiness.     Equally   important   to   General   Usher   was   instilling   the   proper   military   attitude   in   the Center's   young   students   and   providing   them   with   a   positive   environment   at   Lowry.     Lowry   became   the   major   training   facility   for   space   operations   and   planned   courses   for new   Air   Force   weapons   systems,   for   example,   the   B-1B   bomber   and   the   Peacekeeper ICBM.      LTTC   received   MCI   ratings   of   “Excellent”   in   1983   and   again   in   1984.      Other initiatives    by    General    Usher    included    modernizing    Intelligence    Training,    promoting quality of life at Lowry, and reducing energy consumption.
Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986 Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986 Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986
27. Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986 Major General Joseph D. Moore directed Lowry Technical Training Center from 15 August 1985 through 16 October 1986. Under his leadership, the Center implemented Undergraduate Space Training, prepared for the transfer of Intelligence Training to Goodfellow AFB, accepted a new Peacekeeper training facility, and introduced new and enhanced courses for the B-1B, F-lll, and Peacekeeper. General Moore's quality of life initiatives included establishing new base security procedures, renovating base housing and living quarters, upgrading base dining facilities, promoting in-state college tuition benefits for Lowry personnel, increasing safety awareness, and developing the Dillon Recreation Area.
Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988 Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988 Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988
28. Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988 Major   General   Larry   N.   Tibbetts   served   as   Commander   of   Lowry   Technical   Training Center    from    17    October    1986    to    27    May    1988.    During    his    tenure    he    stressed preparation    of    combat-ready,    technically-qualified    people    for    the    armed    forces; organized   a   military   Tattoo,   drill   team,   and   drum   and   bugle   corps;   celebrated   Lowry's 50th Anniversary;   refurbished   the   Eisenhower   Chapel   and   D.V.   quarters;   and   dedicated a   Student   Ministry   Center.   General   Tibbetts'   leadership   contributed   greatly   to   LTTC's noteworthy   MCI   and   UEI   performance   in   1987.   He   was   instrumental   in   development   of the   Undergraduate   Space   Training   program   and   presided   at   the   first   class'   graduation. With   Lowry's   removal   from   the   DOD   base   closure   list,   General Tibbetts   worked   with   HQ ATC   and   Colorado   Congressmen   to   restore   almost   $22   million   in   construction   projects for FY88 and 89.
Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 29. Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 Major General Dale C. Tabor served as Center Commander from 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991. Under his leadership, LTTC continued its record of excellence in technical training. High ratings on the September 1989 UEI demonstrated the quality of instruction at Lowry. He promoted the mission of the 3320th Correction and Rehabilitation Squadron throughout the Air Force, and worked to establish a centralized Air Force prison at Lowry. General Tabor's anti-DUI campaign helped to reduce drinking and driving by base personnel. He prepared LTTC for an expanded mission and an increased student population from the closure of Chanute AFB. As part of General Tabor's community relations policy, base personnel hosted the Colorado Veterans Memorial benefit featuring Bob Hope, and participated in the joint Lowry-Buckley air show.
30. Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major   General   Fred   R.   Nelson   served   as   the   Center   Commander   from   4   March   1991   to   31 July   1992.   Under   his   leadership,   Center   personnel   demonstrated   excellence   in   technical training,    including    earning    top    honors    in    Air    Training    Command    s    first    TOP    TECH competition,    improving    training    efficiency    with    Project    TRAINING    RELOOK,"    and surpassing    command    goals    for    instructor    academic    achievement.    General    Nelson reorganized   the   Center   to   meet   Air   Force   wing   structure   objectives   for   enhancing efficiency   and   effectiveness   of   operations.   His   Quality   Air   Force   initiatives   improved training   support   and   the   quality   of   life   for   Lowry   personnel.   In   beginning   the   transition for    the    Lowry   Air    Force    Base    closure    in    1994,    General    Nelson    worked    with    local community officials to plan for the reuse of land and facilities.
Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94 Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94 Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94
31. Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94 Under   the   command   of   Major   General   Blume,   Lowry   underwent   major   changes   which included   gearing   the   base   up   for   closure   and   transferring   technical   training   squadrons missions'   to   various   gaining   bases.   He   also   formed   a   partnership   with   local   communities to   promote   viable   plans   for   base   reuse.   He   instituted   a   civilian   reemployment   plan which   successfully   placed   nearly   100   percent   of   the   Lowry   civilian   work   force   with   new positions.    His    commitment    to    Quality   Air    Force    nurtured    an    environment    of    trust, teamwork    and    empowerment    throughout    Lowry    for    people    to    manage    Air    Force resources.
Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94 Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94 Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94
32. Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94 Colonel   Wright   completed   the   closure   of   Lowry   AFB.   Under   his   guidance,   428   buildings were   closed   while   4000   tons   of   resources   were   packaged   and   shipped   to   other   bases.   He managed   the   smooth   transfer   of   property   and   equipment   to   the   local   community   and worked   closely   with   the   Base   Closure Agency   and   the   Lowry   Redevelopment Authority   to promote   the   sound   reuse   of   Lowry   resources.   Colonel   Wright   focused   his   concern   on   the employees    of    Lowry    and    facilitated    their    transition    to    other    employment.    He orchestrated   an   inactivation   and   closure   ceremony   that   will   remain   a   lasting   tribute   to legacy of Lowry Air Force Base and the support of the surrounding communities.
33. Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94 Support Group Commander for Closure.
Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94 Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94 Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94
Lowry AFB The History

Commanders

Lowry   had   33   commanders   during   its   57   years   of   outstanding   service as   it   grew   from   a   small Army Air   Force   Field   to   a   large   U.   S. Air   Force Base.      Lowry’s   first   commander   was   an   Army   Lieutenant   Colonel,   its last   an   Air   Force   Colonel.      During   the   57   years   of   its   existence   the Base   Commander’s   seat   was   occupied   by   1   Lt.   Col.,   6   Colonels,   7 Brigadier   Generals   (1   Star),   17   Major   Generals   (2   Stars),   1   Lieutenant General    (3    Stars)    and    1    General    (4    Stars).        These    commanders transformed   Lowry   from   a   Tuberculosis   Sanatorium   and   open   prairie to   one   of   the   most   technically   oriented   training   facilities   of   its   time.     Training   missions   associated   with   each   commander’s   term   of   service would   change   as   necessity   dictated   to   reflect   unfolding   events   around the   globe,   thus   assuring   the   United   States   would   always   be   in   a position   to   defend   her   sovereignty   and   the   well-being   of   her   allies   in their time of need.
Rank and Insignia for U. S. Army and Air Force Officers
Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38 Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38 Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 — 7 Jan 38
01. Lieutenant Colonel Harold D. Stetson 2 Sep 37 - 7 Jan 38 Lieutenant   Colonel   Stetson,   then   a   Captain,   commanded Lowry   Field   when   it   was   known   as   the   Denver   Branch,   Air Corps    Technical    School.    A    quartermaster    at    Ft.    Logan, Colorado,   he   was   placed   in   charge   of   activating   the   new flying    field    and    preparing    the    Agnes    Phipps    Memorial Sanitarium   buildings   for   use   as   a   school.   Under   his   command,   on   1   October   1937 the United States flag flew over the field for the first time.
Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38 Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38 Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38
02. Major General Junius W. Jones 7 Feb 38 - 30 Jun 38 As    Commandant    of    the    Air    Corps    Technical    School    at Chanute   Field,   Illinois,   General   Jones,   then   a   Lieutenant Colonel,   supervised   the   transfer   of   the   Armament   School and   Photo   School   to   Lowry.   Assigned   to   command   Lowry,   he met   the   first   cadre   of   students   as   they   arrived   by   train   on 12   February.   Lowry’s   first   class   graduated   from   the Armament   Department   on   19 March.   The   first   aircraft   —   nine   B-18s   —   landed   on   the   new   runway   on   30   June 1938.
Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40 Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40 Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph, 1 Jul 38-12 Oct 40
03. Brigadier General Jacob H. Rudolph 1 Jul 38 - 12 Oct 40 General   Rudolph   commanded   at   Lowry   Field   while   much   of its   most   important   early   construction   took   place.   On   19 September   1938,   work   began   on   Hanger   No.   1.   On   7   October 1940,   Lowry   formally   accepted   Budding   349.   Known   as   the “Brick   Barracks,”   the   structure   housed   Lowry’s   permanent party   personnel.   Other   construction   included   runways,   NCO/Officer   housing,   and wood-frame   student   barracks.   Lowry   also   added   a   third   department,   Clerical,      to its training program.
Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44 Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44 Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed, 15 Apr 43 --- 18 Aug 44 Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42 Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42 Major General Early E. W. Duncan, 31 Oct 40-8 Apr 42
04. Major General Early E. W. Duncan 31 Oct 40 - 8 Apr 42 It   fell   to   General   Duncan,   then   Colonel,   to   announce   the Japanese   attack   at   Pearl   Harbor   on   7   December   1941   to Lowry   personnel   and   to   lead   the   base   to   war.   Preparation for   that   conflict,   however,   had   begun   much   earlier.   The prewar   military   draft   had   its   first   impact   on   Lowry   13   July 1941    when    more    than    1,200    students    arrived    —    the    first    massive    student increase   in   the   airfield’s   history.   To   handle   the   expanded   training   demands, Lowry began to train under a two-shift system.
Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43 Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43 Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell, 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43
05. Brigadier General Harvey S. Burwell 9 Apr 42 - 14 Apr 43 General   Burwell   commanded   Lowry   during   the   early   part   of World   War   II.      Aircraft   at   the   field   consisted   of   virtually every   army   plane   in   the   inventory   including   P-38s,   P-40s, P-51s,   B-17s,   and   B-25s.      Students   at   Lowry   also   trained   on the   Norden   bomb   sight.      The   first   inter-service   training   at Lowry   of   any   magnitude   began   when   Marines   from   Cherry   Point,   North   Carolina began receiving instruction in power-operated gun turrets.
06. Brigadier General Albert L. Sneed 15 Apr 43 - 18 Aug 44 The   diversity   in   personnel   being   trained   at   Lowry   increased during   General   Sneed’s   tenure   in   command.   On   17   April 1943,   the   first   class   of   black   airmen   graduated   from   the Photography    School.    On    the    same    day,    that    school    also graduated   Lowry’s   first   class   of   females   from   the   Women’s Army    Air    Corps.    Political    glamour    touched    Lowry    on    24    April    1943    when President   Franklin   D.   Roosevelt   toured   the   field   as   part   of   an   inspection   tour   of American military facilities.
Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44 Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44 Colonel Raymond P. Todd, 19 Aug 44 — 8 Dec 44
07. Colonel Raymond P. Todd 19 Aug 44 - 8 Dec 44 Colonel    Todd    was    actually    interim    commander    from    19 August   until   14   November   and   then   permanent   Commander until   8   December.   During   his   short   tenure,   Lowry’s   flying mission   changed   with   arrival   of   the   mighty   four-engined   B- 29s.   The   Superfortresses   came   as   a   part   of   the   transfer   of the   Flight   Engineering   School   from   Smoky   Hill   Air   Field   at   Salina,   Kansas,   in October 1944.
Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45 Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45 Colonel John B. Patrick, 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45
08. Colonel John B. Patrick 9 Dec 44 — 13 Nov 45 Colonel   Patrick   commanded   Lowry   Field   at   the   end   of   World War II and supervised the transition to a peacetime   Air   Force.   Before   the   war   ended,   Lowry   opened   a   new   school specializing   in   B-29   crew   training.   On   8   May   1945   however, Lowry   celebrated   the   surrender   of   Germany   and   the   end   of war    in    Europe    ---    VE    Day.        Colonel    Patrick    announced    the    surrender    of    the Japanese   on   14   August   1945.      With   the   end   of   World   War   II,   Lowry’s   training Mission   declined,   the   field   abandoned   its   three-shift   wartime   training   schedule, and its personnel resumed the slower pace of peacetime operations.
Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47 Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47 Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe, 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47
09. Brigadier General Thomas M. Lowe 14 Nov 45 — 1 Jun 47 Under   General   Lowe,   Lowry   spent   most   of   its   last   days   as   an army   field.   During   his   tenure,   Lowry   established   Provisional Squadrons   within   the   regularly   constituted   squadrons.   These were   designed   to   allow   squadron   commanders   to   exercise better   supervision   of   personnel.   The   training   program   was severely   impacted   during   February   1946   by   an   epidemic   of   disease   that   forced   the schools    to    close    for    two    weeks.    Lowry    received    an    important    visitor    on    17 February   1946   when   General   of   the   Armies   Dwight   D.   Eisenhower   toured   the facility.
Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48 Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48 Brigadier General Rosenham Beam, 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48
10. Brigadier General Rosenham Beam 2 Jun 47 - 14 Oct 48 Brigadier    General    Beam,    then    a    Colonel,    supervised    the transition   from   Lowry   Field   to   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   as   the Army    Air    Force    became    the    United    States    Air    Force. President   Harry   S.   Truman   signed   the   National   Security   Act creating   the   Department   of   Defense   on   26   July   1947.   As   a result,   the   USAF   came   into   being   on   18   September   1947. The effects   at   Lowry   included   creation   of   the   3415th   Technical   Training   Wing   on   26 August 1948 to serve as its training organization.
Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50 Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50 Major General Warren R. Carter, 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50
11. Major General Warren R. Carter 15 Oct 48 — 25 Mar 50 In   the   tranquil   days   prior   to   the   Korean   War,   Lowry   AFB   was busy   continuing   its   training   for   and   responding   to   the   needs   of the   newly   established   Air   Force.   General   Carter’s   tenure   in command   featured   visits   by   two   important   individuals.   On   25 July   1949,   Secretary   of   the Air   Force   Stuart   Symington   arrived at   the   base.   On   6   August   1949,   General   Eisenhower   returned to Lowry for a short visit. Mrs. Eisenhower’s family home was in Denver.
Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50 Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50 Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell, 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50
12. Brigadier General Charles H. Caldwell 7 Apr 50 - 10 Nov 50 Under   General   Caldwell,   Lowry   once   again   went   to   war.   In June   1950,   North   Korean   troops   invaded   South   Korea   and President   Truman   committed   United   States   forces   to   the fighting.   Lowry’s   training   mission   intensified   in   support   of USAF   operations.   In   the   autumn   of   1950,   a   flexible   gunnery course   was   implemented.   Much   of   Lowry’s   training   mission began    to    change.    The    addition    of    courses    in    rocket    propulsion    and    missile guidance   systems   pointed   to   the   future.   The   appearance   of   Lowry   personnel   also changed as new USAF blue uniforms began to replace Army green uniforms.
Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56 Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56 Major General John T. Sprague, 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56
13. Major General John T. Sprague 11 Nov 50 — 31 Oct 56 During   General   Sprague’s   tenure,   Lowry’s   training   program saw   continued   change,   and   Lowry   experienced   a   great   deal of   glamour.   Older   courses   such   as   aircraft   gunnery   were discontinued   and   the   teaching   of   new   subjects   like   missile fundamentals   entered   the   program.   Glamour   came   from   a President.   In   1953,   1954,   and   1955,   Lowry   received   national prominence   as   the   “Summer   White   House”   of   President   Eisenhower   who   made   his office   in   the   old   administration   building.   More   glamour   was   added   in   1954   when the    USAF    established    the    Air    Force    Academy    at    Lowry    while    its    permanent buildings were built near Colorado Springs.
Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60 Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60 Major General Eugene P. Mussett, 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60
14. Major General Eugene P. Mussett 1 Nov 56 - 31 May 60 While    General    Mussett    commanded    Lowry,    the   Air    Force Academy   facilities   near   Colorado   Springs   were   completed. On    30    and    31    August    1958,    the    cadets    moved    to    the permanent    site.    The    703d    Strategic    Missile    Wing    was activated   at   Lowry   in   1958   and   in   June   1959   construction began   on   Titan   missile   sites   on   the   unused   Lowry   Bomb Range,   later   known   as   Lowry   Missile   Range   No.   1. At   Lowry,   a   major   organizational change   occurred   on   1   January   1959;   the   3415th   Technical   Training   Wing   officially became Lowry Technical Training Center.
Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60 Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60 Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge, 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60
15. Colonel Ladson K. Eskridge 1 Jun 60 — 5 Sep 60 Colonel   Eskridge   served   as   interim   commander   of   Lowry for   three   months   prior   to   the   arrival   of   Major   General Charles   H.   Anderson.   During   this   period,   Lowry   became involved    in    America’s    space    program    when    an    SM-68 Reentry    Vehicle    Troubleshooting    Trainer    was    installed. Accepted   29   July   1960,   this   equipment   provided   Research and Development type information.
16. Major General Charles H. Anderson 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 General Anderson   served   as   Lowry’s   commander   longer   than any     other     officer.     During     his     tenure,     the     Center Headquarters   moved   from   Building   256   to   Building   349   on   7 July    1961.    Building    256    was    once    part    of    the    Phipps Memorial   Sanitarium   that   comprised   the   original   buildings   at Lowry.   All   the   old   sanitarium   buildings   were   then   destroyed except   the   General’s   home.   Between   15   April   and   25   June   1965,   the   Strategic   Air Command   removed   its Titan   missiles   and   closed   Lowry   Missile   Range   No.   1.   Perhaps the   saddest   milestone   of   all   —   on   30   June   1966,   Lowry’s   last   runway   closed. A   T-29 made   the   last   take-off   and   Lowry’s   flying   mission   closed   forever.   Also   during   June 1966,    Lowry    received    a    new    addition    when    the    3320th    Retraining    Group transferred in from Amarillo Technical Training Center, Texas.
Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 Major General Charles H. Anderson, 6 Sep 60 - 31 Jul 67 Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71 Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71 Major General Dwight 0. Monteith, 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71
17. Major General Dwight 0. Monteith 2 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 71 The   latter   part   of   General   Monteith’s   tenure   as   commander was     characterized     by     morale     and     service     related construction   for   Lowry   personnel.   The   Colorado   National Bank   opened   a   Lowry   branch   2   January   1971.   This   building was    followed    by    the    opening    of    Lowry’s    golf    course. Permanent    party    personnel,    students,    and    the    growing retired   community   were   served   by   a   new   commissary   opened   on   28   June   1971. On   the   last   day   of   General   Monteith’s   command,   31   July   1971,   a   military   tradition ended at Lowry — the USAF abolished Kitchen Police (KP) duties.
Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72 Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72 Major General John S. Samuel, 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72
18. Major General John S. Samuel 1 Aug 71 -  31 Jul 72 Reflecting   the   trends   of   the   early   1970s,   efforts   toward enhancing   morale   and   removing   social   inequalities   of   Lowry personnel   took   place   under   General   Samuel.   On   24   August 1971,   Lowry   established   its   Office   of   Social   Actions.   On   10 September,    the    Human    Relations    Council    held    its    first meeting.   Ground   breaking   ceremonies   were   held   on   21   May 1972   for   Lowry’s   new   chapel.   Changes   in   the   training   program   continued.   On   1   July 1972,   Lowry   became   home   of   the   USAF   Open   Mess   Management   School   and   USAF Cook’s School.
General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73 General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73 General Alton D. Slay, 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73
19. General Alton D. Slay 1 Sep 72 — 5 Sep 73 Construction   for   the   1970s   begun   under   Generals   Monteith and   Samuel   continued   under   General   Slay.   On   28   December 1972,    Building    400,    a    new    1,000-man    dormitory,    was completed.   Lowry   also   conducted   a   major   reorganization   of the   3415th   Maintenance   and   Supply   Group   on   1   March   19   73, activating   three   new   squadrons:   Transportation,   Supply,   and Maintenance.   On   1   January   1973,   fourteen   new   USAF   career   specialties   opened   to Air   Force   women.   Women   in   the Air   Force   were   thus   accepted   in   all   but   a   few   jobs involving combat flying.
Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75 Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75 Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo, 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75
20. Lieutenant General Charles C. Pattillo 6 Sep 73 — 7 Aug 75 Under   General   Pattillo,   Lowry   completed   a   new   187-space mobile   home   park   on   9   June   1974.   The   base   training   mission changed   slightly   on   16   October   1973   when   the   last   Explosive Ordnance   Disposal   class   graduated;   responsibility   for   this training   was   assumed   by   the   U.   S.   Navy.   Much   of   General Pattillo’s    efforts    were    centered    around    changes    in    the 3320th   Retraining   Group.   On   1   July   1974,   the   3320th   implemented   a   retraining   test program    for    women.    The    Group    also    moved    into    a    brand    new,    five-building complex during the week of 21 April 1974.
Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76 Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76 Major General Warren C. Moore, 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76
21. Major General Warren C. Moore 8 Aug 75 - 29 Dec 76 Under    General    Moore,    on    30   April    1976    several    training Departments   ---   Audiovisual,   Aerospace   Munitions   Training, Intelligence    Training,    and    Logistics    became,    respectively, the   3430th,   3460th,   3450th   and   3440th   Technical   Training Groups.   Lowry   and   Public   Service   Company   of   Colorado   also began   a   program   to   increase   the   base’s   electrical   capacity in   anticipation   of   future   training   needs.   On   30   September   1976,   the   new Air   Force Accounting   and   Finance   Center   located   on   the   southwest   comer   of   Lowry   was dedicated.
Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78 Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78 Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr., 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78
22. Major General Andrew Pringle, Jr. 30 Dec 76 - 24 Apr 78 The   major   event   of   General   Pringle’s   tenure   in   command was    the    reorganization    of    the    Technical    Training    Center implemented   on   1   January   1978.   The   reorganization   was designed   to   reduce   structural   layering,   lower   the   decision making   level,   and   streamline   the   staff.   The   reorganization eliminated 91 military and civilian positions.
Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79 Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79 Major General William W. Hoover, 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79
23. Major General William W. Hoover 25 Apr 78 - 7 Sep 79 While   General   Hoover   commanded   Lowry,   the   process   of streamlining     the     training     organization     continued.     The 3420th   and   3430th   Technical   Training   Groups   merged   on   1 June   1978   to   become   the   3420th   Technical   Training   Group. Also,   on   1   June,   Lowry’s   USAF   Technical   School   received accreditation    for    a    10-year    period.    The    North    Central Association    (NCA)    of    Colleges    and    Schools    provided    the    accreditation,    thus allowing students to receive college credit for courses taken at Lowry.
Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81 Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81 Major General William B. Maxson, 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81
24. Major General William B. Maxson 8 Sep 79 - 13 May 81 During   General   Maxson’s   tenure,   one   element   of   the   1978 reorganization   was   undone;   the   3400th   Technical   Training Wing   replaced   the   Deputy   Commander   for   training,   thus enhancing   the   importance   of   the   training   mission.   During 1980    Lowry    received    two    B-52s    and    an    F-16    to    provide realistic,   hands-on   training   for   students.   On   1   March   1980, Lowry   implemented   the   Pipeline   Management   System,   a   computer-based   method   of controlling the flow of students through the training pipeline.
25. Major General Titus C. Hall 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 General   Hall   commanded   Lowry   Technical   Training   Center (LTTC)   during   a   period   that   saw   a   rapid   increase   in   student population.     To     support     this     increase     required     major emphasis   on   upgrading   the   aircraft   training   fleet   and   Lowry facilities.   General   Hall’s   personal   involvement   helped   LTTC secure   a   modern   A-10   Thunderbolt   II,   F-16   Fighting   Falcon, and   an   F-4E   Phantom   in   support   of   technical   training.   The   Center   opened   the   new Avionics   Training   Building,   and   re-roofed   Hangers   #1   and   #2.   General   Hall   directed creation   of   a   new   INTRO   Building   to   provide   a   single   point   of   contact   for   all personnel   entering   Lowry.   In   support   of   recreational   activities,   Lowry’s   initial construction   opened   a   new   solar   pavilion   for   picnics   and   a   modern   bowling   alley. General   Hall’s   personal   interest   led   to   Chapel   #1   becoming   a   Denver   Historical Landmark,   and   the   Department   of   the   Interior   listed   it   on   the   National   Register   of Historic Places.
Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 Major General Titus C. Hall, 14 May 81 - 28 April 82 Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985 Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985 Major General William R. Usher, 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985
26. Major General William R. Usher 1 June 1982 - 14 August 1985 Major    General    William    R.    Usher    served    as    the    LTTC Commander   from   1   June   1982   until   14   August   1985.      He stressed   excellence   in   training   and   the   need   for   wartime readiness.      Equally   important   to   General   Usher   was   instilling the   proper   military   attitude   in   the   Center's   young   students and   providing   them   with   a   positive   environment   at   Lowry.     Lowry   became   the   major   training   facility   for   space   operations   and   planned   courses for    new   Air    Force    weapons    systems,    for    example,    the    B-1B    bomber    and    the Peacekeeper   ICBM.      LTTC   received   MCI   ratings   of   “Excellent”   in   1983   and   again   in 1984.        Other    initiatives    by    General    Usher    included    modernizing    Intelligence Training, promoting quality of life at Lowry, and reducing energy consumption.
Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986 Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986 Major General Joseph D. Moore, 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986
27. Major General Joseph D. Moore 15 August 1985 - 16 October 1986 Major   General   Joseph   D.   Moore   directed   Lowry   Technical Training   Center   from   15   August   1985   through   16   October 1986.     Under     his     leadership,     the     Center     implemented Undergraduate   Space   Training,   prepared   for   the   transfer   of Intelligence   Training   to   Goodfellow   AFB,   accepted   a   new Peacekeeper    training    facility,    and    introduced    new    and enhanced    courses    for    the    B-1B,    F-lll,    and    Peacekeeper. General   Moore's   quality   of   life   initiatives   included   establishing   new   base   security procedures,   renovating   base   housing   and   living   quarters,   upgrading   base   dining facilities,    promoting    in-state    college    tuition    benefits    for    Lowry    personnel, increasing safety awareness, and developing the Dillon Recreation Area.
Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988 Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988 Major General Larry N. Tibbetts, 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988
28. Major General Larry N. Tibbetts 17 October 1986 - 27 May 1988 Major   General   Larry   N.   Tibbetts   served   as   Commander   of Lowry Technical Training   Center   from   17   October   1986   to   27 May    1988.    During    his    tenure    he    stressed    preparation    of combat-ready,   technically-qualified   people   for   the   armed forces;   organized   a   military   Tattoo,   drill   team,   and   drum and    bugle    corps;    celebrated    Lowry's    50th    Anniversary; refurbished   the   Eisenhower   Chapel   and   D.V.   quarters;   and dedicated    a    Student    Ministry    Center.    General    Tibbetts'    leadership    contributed greatly    to    LTTC's    noteworthy    MCI    and    UEI    performance    in    1987.    He    was instrumental   in   development   of   the   Undergraduate   Space   Training   program   and presided   at   the   first   class'   graduation.   With   Lowry's   removal   from   the   DOD   base closure   list,   General   Tibbetts   worked   with   HQ   ATC   and   Colorado   Congressmen   to restore almost $22 million in construction projects for FY88 and 89.
Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 Major General Dale C. Tabor, 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991 29. Major General Dale C. Tabor27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991Major General Dale C. Tabor served as Center Commander from 27 May 1988 to 4 March 1991. Under his leadership, LTTC continued its record of excellence in technical training. High ratings on the September 1989 UEI demonstrated the quality of instruction at Lowry. He promoted the mission of the 3320th Correction and Rehabilitation Squadron throughout the Air Force, and worked to establish a centralized Air Force prison at Lowry. General Tabor's anti-DUI campaign helped to reduce drinking and driving by base personnel. He prepared LTTC for an expanded mission and an increased student population from the closure of Chanute AFB. As part of General Tabor's community relations policy, base personnel hosted the Colorado Veterans Memorial benefit featuring Bob Hope, and participated in the joint Lowry-Buckley air show.
30. Major General Fred R. Nelson 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major    General    Fred    R.    Nelson    served    as    the    Center Commander   from   4   March   1991   to   31   July   1992.   Under   his leadership,   Center   personnel   demonstrated   excellence   in technical    training,    including    earning    top    honors    in    Air Training   Command   s   first   TOP   TECH   competition,   improving training    efficiency    with    Project    TRAINING    RELOOK,"    and surpassing   command   goals   for   instructor   academic   achievement.   General   Nelson reorganized   the   Center   to   meet   Air   Force   wing   structure   objectives   for   enhancing efficiency    and    effectiveness    of    operations.    His    Quality    Air    Force    initiatives improved   training   support   and   the   quality   of   life   for   Lowry   personnel.   In   beginning the   transition   for   the   Lowry Air   Force   Base   closure   in   1994,   General   Nelson   worked with local community officials to plan for the reuse of land and facilities.
Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major General Fred R. Nelson, 4 March 1991 - 31 July 1992 Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94 Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94 Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr., 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94
31. Major General Jay D. Blume, Jr. 1 Aug 92 - 27 Apr 94 Under    the    command    of    Major    General    Blume,    Lowry underwent   major   changes   which   included   gearing   the   base up   for   closure   and   transferring   technical   training   squadrons missions'    to    various    gaining    bases.    He    also    formed    a partnership   with   local   communities   to   promote   viable   plans for   base   reuse.   He   instituted   a   civilian   reemployment   plan which   successfully   placed   nearly   100   percent   of   the   Lowry   civilian   work   force   with new   positions.   His   commitment   to   Quality   Air   Force   nurtured   an   environment   of trust,   teamwork   and   empowerment   throughout   Lowry   for   people   to   manage   Air Force resources.
Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94 Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94 Colonel Michael J. Wright, 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94
32. Colonel Michael J. Wright 28 Apr 94 - 30 Sep 94 Colonel   Wright   completed   the   closure   of   Lowry   AFB.   Under his   guidance,   428   buildings   were   closed   while   4000   tons   of resources   were   packaged   and   shipped   to   other   bases.   He managed   the   smooth   transfer   of   property   and   equipment to   the   local   community   and   worked   closely   with   the   Base Closure   Agency   and   the   Lowry   Redevelopment   Authority   to promote   the   sound   reuse   of   Lowry   resources.   Colonel   Wright   focused   his   concern on   the   employees   of   Lowry   and   facilitated   their   transition   to   other   employment. He   orchestrated   an   inactivation   and   closure   ceremony   that   will   remain   a   lasting tribute   to   legacy   of   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   and   the   support   of   the   surrounding communities.
33. Colonel George F. Garrison 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94 Support Group Commander for Closure.
Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94 Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94 Colonel George F. Garrison, 3 Aug 92 – 30 Sep 94
 Last Updated:  01/08/2018  09:29