LOWRY AFB The History

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Original Publication:  05/06/2017  21:10
 Last Updated:  01/09/2018  08:18

THE SUMMER WHITE HOUSE YEARS

President   Dwight   D.   Eisenhower   increased   Lowry   AFB’s   prestige   when   he   made   the   field   his   base   for   the   Summer White House  during the years 1953 through 1955. Official   word   of   the   first   impending   visit   was   received   when   Lt   Col   William   C.   Draper, Air   Force Aide   to   the   President, informed   Brig   Gen   John   T.   Sprague,   LTTC   Commander,   by   telephone   1   June   1953,   that   Lowry   would   be   the   White House Headquarters during the President’s summer vacation in Colorado. Building   256 ,   the   main   building   of   the   Sanatorium   when   the   property   was   given   to   the Air   Corps,   was   selected   as   the   most   suitable   building   on   the   base   for   the   President   and his    staff.    Several    offices    within    the    building    were    vacated,    and    the    rooms    were completely   renovated   prior   to   the   arrival   of   the   Presidential   Party.   The   President’s office,    Room    230,    was    given    light    green    walls    with    white    woodwork    and    maroon draperies.   A   gray   flattop   desk   with   a   leather   executive   chair,   a   club   chair   with   a   side table, and a lamp were also provided. Other   offices   were   made   available   for   press   activities   and   the   secret   service.   The   General’s   conference   room   was reserved for formal press conferences, and a motor pool was set up behind the building. The   C-121   Constellation,   "The   Columbine,"   carrying   the   President,   Mrs.   Eisenhower,   and   members   of   the   President’s staff,   arrived   at   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   at   1600,   8   August   1953.   They   were   met   at   the   foot   of   the   ramp   by   General Sprague,    Governor    Dan    Thornton    of    Colorado,    and    other    dignitaries.    Full    military    honors    were    accorded    the President,   with   the   Honor   Guard,   Color   Guard,   529th Air   Force   Band,   and   two   30-man   flights   of   airmen   on   the   Lowry flight line. The   President   stayed   at   Lowry   until   19   September   on   his   first   visit,   and   the   daily   press   dispatches   kept   Lowry AFB   on the front pages of newspapers around the country throughout his stay. Ike’s   second   visit   was   from   21   August   through   15   October   1954.   It   was   on   this   trip   that   the   President   broke   with tradition   in   calling   the   members   of   the   National   Security   Council   together   for   a   special   conference   at   the   Summer White   House. The   council   had   not   previously   met   outside   of   Washington   D.   C.   On   12   September   1954,   the   council   met in   the   Williamsburg   Room   at   the   Officers   Club.   The   purpose   was   to   hear   Secretary   of   State   John   Foster   Dulles   give   a report   of   his   just   completed   trip   to   the   Far   East   on   which   he   visited   Generalissimo   Chiang   Kai-shek   in   Formosa. Gathered   in   the   room   were   the   President,   Vice   President   Richard   Nixon,   Secretary   of   Defense   Charles   E.   Wilson,   CIA Director   Allen   Dulles,   FBI   Chief   J.   Edgar   Hoover,   Atomic   Energy   Commissioner   Lewis   Strauss,   and   perhaps   the   largest group of truly distinguished visitors to visit Lowry Air Force Base. The   third   “Summer   White   House”   period   at   Lowry   was   14 August   through   11   November   1955.     The   President,   however, was   on   the   base   only   through   23   September,   since   he   suffered   a   heart   attack   and   was   hospitalized   at   nearby Fitzsimons Army General Hospital from that date until his departure. 1

5-Star General of the Army & President of the United States

1

 From “A Forty Year Look at Lowry Air Force Base 1937-1977” by  Melvin F. Porter, Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry AFB, Colorado, January 1978.

1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.  [Wings Museum] 1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.  [Wings Museum] 1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.  [Wings Museum]
1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.
2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.  [Wings Museum] 2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.  [Wings Museum] 2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.  [Wings Museum]
2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.
3. President Eisenhower upon arrival greeting the troops.  The hangar in the background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.  [Wings Museum] 3. President Eisenhower upon arrival greeting the troops.  The hangar in the background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.  [Wings Museum] 3. President Eisenhower upon arrival greeting the troops.  The hangar in the background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.  [Wings Museum]
3.   President   Eisenhower   upon   arrival   greeting   the   troops.      The   hangar   in   the   background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.
4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.  [Wings Museum] 4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.  [Wings Museum] 4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.  [Wings Museum]
4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.
5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.  {Wings Museum] 5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.  {Wings Museum] 5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.  {Wings Museum]
5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.
Bldg. 256, Summer Whitehouse HQ.  [Wings Museum] Bldg. 256, Summer Whitehouse HQ.  [Wings Museum] Bldg. 256, Summer Whitehouse HQ.  [Wings Museum]
Lowry AFB The History

Dwight D. Eisenhower

THE SUMMER WHITE HOUSE YEARS

President   Dwight   D.   Eisenhower   increased   Lowry AFB’s   prestige   when he   made   the   field   his   base   for   the   Summer   White   House    during   the years 1953 through 1955. Official   word   of   the   first   impending   visit   was   received   when   Lt   Col William   C.   Draper, Air   Force Aide   to   the   President,   informed   Brig   Gen John   T.   Sprague,   LTTC   Commander,   by   telephone   1   June   1953,   that Lowry   would   be   the   White   House   Headquarters   during   the   President’s summer vacation in Colorado. Building   256 ,   the   main   building   of the   sanitarium   when   the   property was    given    to    the    Air    Corps,    was selected     as     the     most     suitable building     on     the     base     for     the President    and    his    staff.    Several offices    within    the    building    were vacated,     and     the     rooms     were completely   renovated   prior   to   the   arrival   of   the   Presidential   Party. The   President’s   office,   Room   230,   was   given   light   green   walls   with white   woodwork   and   maroon   draperies.   A   gray   flattop   desk   with   a leather   executive   chair,   a   club   chair   with   a   side   table,   and   a   lamp were also provided. Other   offices   were   made   available   for   press   activities   and   the   secret service.   The    General’s    conference    room    was    reserved    for    formal press conferences, and a motor pool was set up behind the building. The   C-121   Constellation,   "The   Columbine,"   carrying   the   President, Mrs.   Eisenhower,   and   members   of   the   President’s   staff,   arrived   at Lowry   Air   Force   Base   at   1600,   8   August   1953.   They   were   met   at   the foot   of   the   ramp   by   General   Sprague,   Governor   Dan   Thornton   of Colorado,   and   other   dignitaries.   Full   military   honors   were   accorded the   President,   with   the   Honor   Guard,   Color   Guard,   529th   Air   Force Band, and two 30-man flights of airmen on the Lowry flight line. The   President   stayed   at   Lowry   until   19   September   on   his   first   visit, and   the   daily   press   dispatches   kept   Lowry   AFB   on   the   front   pages   of newspapers around the country throughout his stay. Ike’s   second   visit   was   from   21 August   through   15   October   1954.   It   was on   this   trip   that   the   President   broke   with   tradition   in   calling   the members    of    the    National    Security    Council    together    for    a    special conference    at    the    Summer    White    House.    The    council    had    not previously   met   outside   of   Washington   D.   C.   On   12   September   1954, the   council   met   in   the   Williamsburg   Room   at   the   Officers   Club.   The purpose   was   to   hear   Secretary   of   State   John   Foster   Dulles   give   a report   of   his   just   completed   trip   to   the   Far   East   on   which   he   visited Generalissimo   Chiang   Kai-shek   in   Formosa.   Gathered   in   the   room were    the    President,    Vice    President    Richard    Nixon,    Secretary    of Defense   Charles   E.   Wilson,   CIA   Director   Allen   Dulles,   FBI   Chief   J. Edgar    Hoover,    Atomic    Energy    Commissioner    Lewis    Strauss,    and perhaps   the   largest   group   of   truly   distinguished   visitors   to   visit   Lowry Air Force Base. The   third   “Summer   White   House”   period   at   Lowry   was   14   August through   11   November   1955.     The   President,   however,   was   on   the   base only   through   23   September,   since   he   suffered   a   heart   attack   and   was hospitalized   at   nearby   Fitzsimons   Army   General   Hospital   from   that date until his departure. 1
1    From   “A   Forty   Year   Look   at   Lowry   Air   Force   Base   1937-1977”   by      Melvin   F.   Porter,   Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry AFB, Colorado, January 1978.
1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.  [Wings Museum] 1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.  [Wings Museum] 1. President Eisenhower arriving at Lowry AFB in 1954.  [Wings Museum]
1.      President   Eisenhower   arriving   at   Lowry AFB in 1954.
2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.  [Wings Museum] 2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.  [Wings Museum] 2.  President Eisenhower greets well-wishers on the ground upon his arrival.  [Wings Museum]
2.     President     Eisenhower     greets     well- wishers on the ground upon his arrival.
3. President Eisenhower upon arrival greeting the troops.  The hangar in the background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.  [Wings Museum] 3. President Eisenhower upon arrival greeting the troops.  The hangar in the background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.  [Wings Museum] 3. President Eisenhower upon arrival greeting the troops.  The hangar in the background today is hangar # 1 where the Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum is located.  [Wings Museum]
3.     President     Eisenhower     upon     arrival greeting   the   troops.      The   hangar   in   the background   today   is   hangar   #   1   where   the Wings    Over    The    Rockies    Air    &    Space Museum is located.
4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.  [Wings Museum] 4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.  [Wings Museum] 4. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.  [Wings Museum]
4.    President    Eisenhower    and    his    wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel #1.
5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.  {Wings Museum] 5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.  {Wings Museum] 5. President Eisenhower and his wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.  {Wings Museum]
5.    President    Eisenhower    and    his    wife Mamie leaving services at Chapel # 1.

5-Star General of the Army & President of the United States

Bldg. 256, Summer Whitehouse HQ.  [Wings Museum] Bldg. 256, Summer Whitehouse HQ.  [Wings Museum] Bldg. 256, Summer Whitehouse HQ.  [Wings Museum]
 Last Updated:  01/09/2018  08:18