LOWRY AFB The History

Photo School

Originally Published: 05/04/2017  10:53
The   United   States   Air   Service   established   the   original   military   technical   school   for   photography   in   1922   at   Chanute Field,   Illinois.   By   1923   the   Air   Service,   having   already   converted   nine   of   its   Chanute   Field’s   steel   hangers   into classrooms,   saw   its   funding   cut   thus   curtailing   further   development   or   expansion   of   its   facilities.   In   1934   the Air   Corps (the   name   of   the Air   Service   was   changed   on   2   July   1926)   concluded   that   Chanute   Field   no   longer   met   the   needs   of   a modern   air   force   given   that   there   was   inadequate   space   available   for   a   bombing   range,   and   worse…the   average number of clear weather days restricted training in aerial photography. The   search   for   a   new   home   for   Chanute’s   photo   school   led   to   an Army   committee   arriving   in   Denver   on   26   May   1934   in response   to   the   Denver   Chamber   of   Commerce’s   offer   to   make   available   the   Agnes   Memorial   Sanatorium   property which   had   closed   in   1932   to   the   Army   at   no   charge.   Denver’s   voters   approved   a   bond   measure   in   May   of   1935 authorizing   payment   to   Lawrence   Phipps   the   sum   of   $200,000   for   his   Sanatorium   property   thus   clearing   the   way   for Denver   to   hand   over   the   property   to   the Army. After   having   evaluated   86   sites   across   the   nation,   the Army   committee recommended Denver due primarily to its favorable flying weather and the availability of land for a bombing range. Congress   approved   the   move   to   Lowry   in   August   of   1937,   with   President   Franklin   Roosevelt   signing   the   legislation authorizing   funds   for   the   new   establishment   at   Lowry   Field   on   August   27,   1937.   On   1   September   1937   Capt.   Harold Stetson,   the   Army   Quartermaster   assigned   to   Fort   Logan,   began   working   at   the   Sanatorium.   He   raised   the   American flag   on   1   October   1937,   making   the   Denver   Branch   an   active Army   post.   The   Denver   Branch   of   the Air   Corps   Technical School   officially   became   Lowry   Field   on   21   March   1938   in   honor   of   Lt.   Lowry   who   had   been   killed   during   WWI   while flying as an aerial photographer. Captain   Stetson   served   as   the   Construction   Quartermaster   and   supervised   the   WPA-era   civilian   work   force.   He retained   the   position   of   Officer-in-Charge   (OIC)   until   the   arrival   of   Lt.   Col.   Junius   W.   Jones   who   had   been   the Commandant   of   the   school   at   Chanute   Field.   Colonel   Junius   Jones   became   the   first   Commanding   Officer   of   the Denver   Training   Branch   on   7   February   1938.   A   train   pulled   into   Denver’s   Union   Station   five   days   later   from   Chanute Field bringing 300 people and equipment for the Armament and Photographic Departments. The   Photographic   Department   staff   consisted   of   54   enlisted   men   and   6   officers,   with   60   students   in   attendance.      The school’s   first   classes   began   at   0800   on   the   morning   of   Monday,   28   February   1938.   The   first   photographic   studies   class of   10   men,   nine   Army   Air   Corps   soldiers   and   a   Marine,   that   began   and   completed   a   course   at   Lowry   Field   graduated on June 29th, 1938. The   Basic   photography   classes   at   Lowry   Field   normally   lasted   six   months,   consisting   of   courses   in   elementary,   ground, and aerial photography; mosaics and mapping; camera repair; cinematography; and photographic field equipment. Photographic   classes   began   under   conditions   that   were   a   severe   handicap   to   all.   They   started   in   the   attic   of   one   of the   former   Sanatorium   buildings.   The   classes   were   constantly   interrupted   by   noises   made   by   nesting   pigeons   having built   their   homes   in   the   attic.   Many   of   the   classrooms   and   laboratories   were   unfinished,   and   the   landing   field   was   not yet   completed.   It   was   soon   found   that   certain   unanticipated   situations   had   to   be   overcome.   For   example,   the   photo laboratories   were   located   in   the   basement   of   the   Administration   Building.   Because   the   basement   was   shallow,   the men   were   constantly   hitting   their   heads   on   the   low   ceiling.   In   addition,   the   two-inch   water   pipe,   which   had   been deemed   sufficient   for   all   normal   purposes,   could   not   meet   the   large   washing   requirements   of   the   photo   laboratory. Therefore,   a   three-inch   line   was   put   down   in   the   middle   of   the   rooms   while   classes   were   in   session. The   men   actually had   to   climb   over   the   mound   on   the   floor   to   go   from   one   side   of   the   room   to   the   other.   Imagine   their   further consternation   when   this   supply   also   proved   inadequate,   and   they   had   to   go   through   the   same   inconveniences   while   a four-inch line was put in place. Fresh   paint   covered   the   walls   wherever   training   was   attempted,   workmen   were   hammering,   raising   dust,   creating disturbances;   bedlam   was   the   order   of   the   day.   Training   continued,   but   not   without   difficulty.   Because   of   the   lack   of space,   equipment   was   piled   along   corridors   in   the   hope   that   rooms   would   soon   be   made   available.   A   great   deal   of photographic   equipment   was   placed   in   a   room   in   the   basement   and   in   a   new   hangar,   neither   of   which   had   locks installed   on   the   doors.   Considerable   equipment   of   much   value   was   lost   or   stolen   by   the   time   the   rooms   were   ready for occupancy. But   the   training   was   accomplished.   The   first   class   graduated   in   photography   on   4   April,   1938   which   happened   to   be the same day the first runway was put to use. 1 Ten    photography    students    received    diplomas    on    29    June    1938    after    completing    an    advanced    course    in    aerial photography.
1  Extracted from “A FORTY YEAR LOOK At Lowry Air Force Base 1937-1977 by Melvin F. Porter, Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry AFB, Colorado. January 1978.
Last updated: 01/06/2018  10:15
MSgt. Robert H. Willard, TSgt. Adolph P. Schneider, SSgt. Francis J. Johnson, MSgt. Richard J. Kipp; Graduates Aerial Photo Class No. 05057  (Wings; 5 May 1947) MSgt. Robert H. Willard, TSgt. Adolph P. Schneider, SSgt. Francis J. Johnson, MSgt. Richard J. Kipp; Graduates Aerial Photo Class No. 05057  (Wings; 5 May 1947) MSgt. Robert H. Willard, TSgt. Adolph P. Schneider, SSgt. Francis J. Johnson, MSgt. Richard J. Kipp; Graduates Aerial Photo Class No. 05057  (Wings; 5 May 1947) Sgt. Bowen, S/Sgt. Thoreson, M/Sgt. Childress, S/Sgt. Hubertz, T/Sgt. Nelson; Photo School, Camera Repair.  (Wings) Sgt. Bowen, S/Sgt. Thoreson, M/Sgt. Childress, S/Sgt. Hubertz, T/Sgt. Nelson; Photo School, Camera Repair.  (Wings) Sgt. Bowen, S/Sgt. Thoreson, M/Sgt. Childress, S/Sgt. Hubertz, T/Sgt. Nelson; Photo School, Camera Repair.  (Wings) M/Sgt. Durnell, S/Sgt. Pozos, Sgt. Ovalle, T/Sgt. Hawkins, T/Sgt. Vinnedge, T/Sgt. Bellinger, Cpl. Washburn, Sgt. Craw, Cpl. Manfredo, T/Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Lightfoot, Sgt. Fessler  (Wings) M/Sgt. Durnell, S/Sgt. Pozos, Sgt. Ovalle, T/Sgt. Hawkins, T/Sgt. Vinnedge, T/Sgt. Bellinger, Cpl. Washburn, Sgt. Craw, Cpl. Manfredo, T/Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Lightfoot, Sgt. Fessler  (Wings) M/Sgt. Durnell, S/Sgt. Pozos, Sgt. Ovalle, T/Sgt. Hawkins, T/Sgt. Vinnedge, T/Sgt. Bellinger, Cpl. Washburn, Sgt. Craw, Cpl. Manfredo, T/Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Lightfoot, Sgt. Fessler  (Wings) School Headquarters & Photographic School.  (Wings) School Headquarters & Photographic School.  (Wings) School Headquarters & Photographic School.  (Wings) Photo School students loading Flash Bombs aboard photo recon aircraft, enabled night-time photography.  (Wings) Photo School students loading Flash Bombs aboard photo recon aircraft, enabled night-time photography.  (Wings) Photo School students loading Flash Bombs aboard photo recon aircraft, enabled night-time photography.  (Wings) Inspecting Flash Bombs prior to a night-time photo mission.  (Wings) Inspecting Flash Bombs prior to a night-time photo mission.  (Wings) Inspecting Flash Bombs prior to a night-time photo mission.  (Wings) Two students (left) are briefed for a night mission while a sergeant carries a flash bomb for taking photos in the dark.  (Wings) Two students (left) are briefed for a night mission while a sergeant carries a flash bomb for taking photos in the dark.  (Wings) Two students (left) are briefed for a night mission while a sergeant carries a flash bomb for taking photos in the dark.  (Wings) A Photo School student practicing his trade.  (Wings) A Photo School student practicing his trade.  (Wings) A Photo School student practicing his trade.  (Wings) A Photo School student shooting close-ups of a P-38 recon aircraft.  (Wings) A Photo School student shooting close-ups of a P-38 recon aircraft.  (Wings) A Photo School student shooting close-ups of a P-38 recon aircraft.  (Wings) Photo School students learning the craft of still photography using a Wartime Graphlex Anniversary Speed Graphic camera.  (Wings) Photo School students learning the craft of still photography using a Wartime Graphlex Anniversary Speed Graphic camera.  (Wings) Photo School students learning the craft of still photography using a Wartime Graphlex Anniversary Speed Graphic camera.  (Wings) One of the most photographed instructors at the Photo School!  (Wings) One of the most photographed instructors at the Photo School!  (Wings) One of the most photographed instructors at the Photo School!  (Wings) During WWII, in addition to operating and maintaining equipment, Air Corps cinematographers wrote and "shot" scripts.  (Wings) During WWII, in addition to operating and maintaining equipment, Air Corps cinematographers wrote and "shot" scripts.  (Wings) During WWII, in addition to operating and maintaining equipment, Air Corps cinematographers wrote and "shot" scripts.  (Wings) Photo Repair Class.  (Wings) Photo Repair Class.  (Wings) Photo Repair Class.  (Wings)
PHOTO SCHOOL PHOTOS
Lowry AFB The History

Photo School

The    United    States    Air    Service    established    the    original military   technical   school   for   photography   in   1922   at   Chanute Field,    Illinois.    By    1923    the    Air    Service,    having    already converted    nine    of    its    Chanute    Field’s    steel    hangers    into classrooms,    saw    its    funding    cut    thus    curtailing    further development   or   expansion   of   its   facilities.   In   1934   the   Air Corps   (the   name   of   the   Air   Service   was   changed   on   2   July 1926)   concluded   that   Chanute   Field   no   longer   met   the   needs of   a   modern   air   force   given   that   there   was   inadequate   space available    for    a    bombing    range,    and    worse…the    average number   of   clear   weather   days   restricted   training   in   aerial photography. The   search   for   a   new   home   for   Chanute’s   photo   school   led   to an   Army   committee   arriving   in   Denver   on   26   May   1934   in response   to   the   Denver   Chamber   of   Commerce’s   offer   to make    available    the    Agnes    Memorial    Sanitorium    property which   had   closed   in   1932   to   the Army   at   no   charge.   Denver’s voters   approved   a   bond   measure   in   May   of   1935   authorizing payment   to   Lawrence   Phipps   the   sum   of   $200,000   for   his Sanitorium   property   thus   clearing   the   way   for   Denver   to hand   over   the   property   to   the   Army.   After   having   evaluated 86     sites     across     the     nation,     the     Army     committee recommended   Denver   due   primarily   to   its   favorable   flying weather and the availability of land for a bombing range. Congress   approved   the   move   to   Lowry   in   August   of   1937, with    President    Franklin    Roosevelt    signing    the    legislation authorizing   funds   for   the   new   establishment   at   Lowry   Field on   August    27,    1937.    On    1    September    1937    Capt.    Harold Stetson,   the   Army   Quartermaster   assigned   to   Fort   Logan, began   working   at   the   Sanitorium.   He   raised   the   American flag   on   1   October   1937,   making   the   Denver   Branch   an   active Army   post.   The   Denver   Branch   of   the   Air   Corps   Technical School   officially   became   Lowry   Field   on   21   March   1938   in honor   of   Lt.   Lowry   who   had   been   killed   during   WWI   while flying as an aerial photographer. Captain   Stetson   served   as   the   Construction   Quartermaster and   supervised   the   WPA-era   civilian   work   force.   He   retained the   position   of   Officer-in-Charge   (OIC)   until   the   arrival   of   Lt. Col.   Junius   W.   Jones   who   had   been   the   Commandant   of   the school   at   Chanute   Field.   Colonel   Junius   Jones   became   the first   Commanding   Officer   of   the   Denver   Training   Branch   on   7 February   1938.   A   train   pulled   into   Denver’s   Union   Station five   days   later   from   Chanute   Field   bringing   300   people   and equipment       for       the      Armament       and       Photographic Departments. The   Photographic   Department   staff   consisted   of   54   enlisted men   and   6   officers,   with   60   students   in   attendance.      The school’s    first    classes    began    at    0800    on    the    morning    of Monday,   28   February   1938.   The   first   photographic   studies class   of   10   men,   nine   Army   Air   Corps   soldiers   and   a   Marine, that   began   and   completed   a   course   at   Lowry   Field   graduated on June 29th, 1938. The    Basic    photography    classes    at    Lowry    Field    normally lasted    six    months,    consisting    of    courses    in    elementary, ground,    and    aerial    photography;    mosaics    and    mapping; camera    repair;    cinematography;    and    photographic    field equipment. Photographic   classes   began   under   conditions   that   were   a severe   handicap   to   all.   They   started   in   the   attic   of   one   of the   former   sanitarium   buildings. The   classes   were   constantly interrupted   by   noises   made   by   nesting   pigeons   having   built their    homes    in    the    attic.    Many    of    the    classrooms    and laboratories   were   unfinished,   and   the   landing   field   was   not yet   completed.   It   was   soon   found   that   certain   unanticipated situations    had    to    be    overcome.    For    example,    the    photo laboratories     were     located     in     the     basement     of     the Administration   Building.   Because   the   basement   was   shallow, the   men   were   constantly   hitting   their   heads   on   the   low ceiling.   In   addition,   the   two-inch   water   pipe,   which   had been   deemed   sufficient   for   all   normal   purposes,   could   not meet     the     large     washing     requirements     of     the     photo laboratory.   Therefore,   a   three-inch   line   was   put   down   in   the middle   of   the   rooms   while   classes   were   in   session.   The   men actually   had   to   climb   over   the   mound   on   the   floor   to   go from    one    side    of    the    room    to    the    other.    Imagine    their further     consternation     when     this     supply     also     proved inadequate,     and     they     had     to     go     through     the     same inconveniences while a four-inch line was put in place. Fresh    paint    covered    the    walls    wherever    training    was attempted,     workmen     were     hammering,     raising     dust, creating   disturbances;   bedlam   was   the   order   of   the   day. Training   continued,   but   not   without   difficulty.   Because   of the   lack   of   space,   equipment   was   piled   along   corridors   in the   hope   that   rooms   would   soon   be   made   available.   A   great deal   of   photographic   equipment   was   placed   in   a   room   in   the basement   and   in   a   new   hangar,   neither   of   which   had   locks installed    on    the    doors.    Considerable    equipment    of    much value   was   lost   or   stolen   by   the   time   the   rooms   were   ready for occupancy. But   the   training   was   accomplished.   The   first   class   graduated in   photography   on   4   April,   1938   which   happened   to   be   the same day the first runway was put to use. 1 Ten    photography    students    received    diplomas    on    29    June 1938     after     completing     an     advanced     course     in     aerial photography.
1  Extracted from “A FORTY YEAR LOOK At Lowry Air Force Base 1937-1977 by Melvin F. Porter, Lowry Technical Training Center, Lowry AFB, Colorado. January 1978.
PHOTO SCHOOL PHOTOS
School Headquarters & Photographic School.  (Wings) School Headquarters & Photographic School.  (Wings) School Headquarters & Photographic School.  (Wings) MSgt. Robert H. Willard, TSgt. Adolph P. Schneider, SSgt. Francis J. Johnson, MSgt. Richard J. Kipp; Graduates Aerial Photo Class No. 05057  (Wings; 5 May 1947) MSgt. Robert H. Willard, TSgt. Adolph P. Schneider, SSgt. Francis J. Johnson, MSgt. Richard J. Kipp; Graduates Aerial Photo Class No. 05057  (Wings; 5 May 1947) MSgt. Robert H. Willard, TSgt. Adolph P. Schneider, SSgt. Francis J. Johnson, MSgt. Richard J. Kipp; Graduates Aerial Photo Class No. 05057  (Wings; 5 May 1947) Sgt. Bowen, S/Sgt. Thoreson, M/Sgt. Childress, S/Sgt. Hubertz, T/Sgt. Nelson; Photo School, Camera Repair.  (Wings) Sgt. Bowen, S/Sgt. Thoreson, M/Sgt. Childress, S/Sgt. Hubertz, T/Sgt. Nelson; Photo School, Camera Repair.  (Wings) Sgt. Bowen, S/Sgt. Thoreson, M/Sgt. Childress, S/Sgt. Hubertz, T/Sgt. Nelson; Photo School, Camera Repair.  (Wings) M/Sgt. Durnell, S/Sgt. Pozos, Sgt. Ovalle, T/Sgt. Hawkins, T/Sgt. Vinnedge, T/Sgt. Bellinger, Cpl. Washburn, Sgt. Craw, Cpl. Manfredo, T/Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Lightfoot, Sgt. Fessler  (Wings) M/Sgt. Durnell, S/Sgt. Pozos, Sgt. Ovalle, T/Sgt. Hawkins, T/Sgt. Vinnedge, T/Sgt. Bellinger, Cpl. Washburn, Sgt. Craw, Cpl. Manfredo, T/Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Lightfoot, Sgt. Fessler  (Wings) M/Sgt. Durnell, S/Sgt. Pozos, Sgt. Ovalle, T/Sgt. Hawkins, T/Sgt. Vinnedge, T/Sgt. Bellinger, Cpl. Washburn, Sgt. Craw, Cpl. Manfredo, T/Sgt. Marshall, Sgt. Lightfoot, Sgt. Fessler  (Wings) Photo School students loading Flash Bombs aboard photo recon aircraft, enabled night-time photography.  (Wings) Photo School students loading Flash Bombs aboard photo recon aircraft, enabled night-time photography.  (Wings) Photo School students loading Flash Bombs aboard photo recon aircraft, enabled night-time photography.  (Wings) Inspecting Flash Bombs prior to a night-time photo mission.  (Wings) Inspecting Flash Bombs prior to a night-time photo mission.  (Wings) Inspecting Flash Bombs prior to a night-time photo mission.  (Wings) Two students (left) are briefed for a night mission while a sergeant carries a flash bomb for taking photos in the dark.  (Wings) Two students (left) are briefed for a night mission while a sergeant carries a flash bomb for taking photos in the dark.  (Wings) Two students (left) are briefed for a night mission while a sergeant carries a flash bomb for taking photos in the dark.  (Wings) A Photo School student practicing his trade.  (Wings) A Photo School student practicing his trade.  (Wings) A Photo School student practicing his trade.  (Wings) A Photo School student shooting close-ups of a P-38 recon aircraft.  (Wings) A Photo School student shooting close-ups of a P-38 recon aircraft.  (Wings) A Photo School student shooting close-ups of a P-38 recon aircraft.  (Wings) Photo School students learning the craft of still photography using a Wartime Graphlex Anniversary Speed Graphic camera.  (Wings) Photo School students learning the craft of still photography using a Wartime Graphlex Anniversary Speed Graphic camera.  (Wings) Photo School students learning the craft of still photography using a Wartime Graphlex Anniversary Speed Graphic camera.  (Wings) One of the most photographed instructors at the Photo School!  (Wings) One of the most photographed instructors at the Photo School!  (Wings) One of the most photographed instructors at the Photo School!  (Wings) During WWII, in addition to operating and maintaining equipment, Air Corps cinematographers wrote and "shot" scripts.  (Wings) During WWII, in addition to operating and maintaining equipment, Air Corps cinematographers wrote and "shot" scripts.  (Wings) During WWII, in addition to operating and maintaining equipment, Air Corps cinematographers wrote and "shot" scripts.  (Wings) Photo Repair Class.  (Wings) Photo Repair Class.  (Wings) Photo Repair Class.  (Wings)
Page Last Updated: 01/06/2018  10:18