LOWRY AFB The History

Schools

Training   is   a   necessity   for   all   fields   of   endeavor.   Training   soldiers,   sailors,   Marines,   airmen   and   a   host   of   international   students has   been   Lowry   AFB’s   forte   for   57   years.   Airmen   have   trained   at   Lowry   since   the   citizens   of   Denver   first   persuaded   the   War Department   to   open   a   technical   training   base   here   during   the   1930’s,   ultimately   making   available   not   only   the   880   acres   of land   comprising   the   original   Sanatorium,   but   also   960   acres   six   miles   to   the   east   as   an   auxiliary   landing   field,   which   became known   as   Buckley   Field   on   19   June   1941. An   additional   64,000   acres   about   twenty   miles   to   the   southeast   was   also   acquired   to be used as a bombing range for the Armament School that would be transferred to Lowry from Chanute Field. The   Denver   Branch   of   the   Air   Corps   Technical   Schools   was   located   in   the   old   Sanatorium   buildings.   Conversion   of   these buildings   into   a   military   facility   commenced   on   4   October   1937   with   the   renovation   of   existing   structures   and   the   construction of   runways.   Captain   Stetson   served   as   the   Construction   Quartermaster   and   supervised   the   WPA-era   civilian   work   force.   He retained   the   position   of   Officer-in-Charge   (OIC)   until   the   arrival   of   Lt.   Col.   Junius   W.   Jones   who   had   been   the   Commandant   of the   school   at   Chanute   Field.   Colonel   Junius   Jones   became   the   first   Commanding   Officer   of   the   Denver   Training   Branch   on   7 February   1938.   A   train   pulled   into   Denver’s   Union   Station   five   days   later   from   Chanute   Field   bringing   300   people   and equipment for the Armament and Photographic Departments. Activation   ceremonies   were   held   on   26   February   1938   in   the   Headquarters   Building   with   lunch   provided   by   the   Denver Chamber of Commerce for the Air Corps officers. The   Photographic   Department   staff   consisted   of   54   enlisted   men   and   6   officers,   with   60   students   in   attendance.   The Armament   Department   had   100   enlisted   men   and   10   officers,   with   170   students.   The   first   of   the   school’s   B-18   Bolo   bombers had   arrived   at   nearby   Denver   Municipal   (Stapleton   International)   Airport.   With   all   the   component   parts   in   place   the   school’s first   classes   began   at   0800   on   the   morning   of   Monday,   28   February   1938   with   events   being   somewhat   disrupted   by   one   of   the Field’s training aircraft dropping the first load of bombs on the auxiliary landing field six miles east of the main base. The   first   photographic   studies   class   of   10   men,   nine Army Air   Corps   soldiers   and   a   Marine,   that   began   and   completed   a   course at   Lowry   Field   graduated   on   June   29th,   1938.   There   was,   however,   a   graduation   at   Lowry   before   the   photo   class.   Ten Armament   students   studying   at   Chanute   Field   were   caught   in   the   school’s   transitioning   to   Lowry   Field.   They   were   sent   to Lowry to complete their training. These ten Armament students graduated from Lowry’s Armament School on 19 March 1938. During   World   War   II,   Lowry's   courses   focused   on   photography,   armaments   and   B-29   crew   training.   Classes   were   taught   24 hours-a-day,   with   850   graduates   each   week.   By   the   end   of   the   war,   more   than   41,000   students   per   year   passed   through   Lowry's gates. The   beginning   of   the   Korean   Conflict   in   1950   meant   a   return   to   a   'round-the-clock,   three-shift,   six   day-   a-week   training schedule, and new technology meant Lowry was now teaching courses in rocket propulsion and missile guidance. On   July   11,   1955   the   Air   Force   Academy   was   formally   dedicated   and   began   operations   at   Lowry.      The   AFA   would   remain   at Lowry until 1958 when its permanent home in Colorado Springs was completed. In   February   1987,   Lowry   graduated   its   first   class   of   the   Air   Force's   newest   major   training   program,   Undergraduate   Space Training   (UST).   Similar   to   undergraduate   pilot   and   navigator   training,   UST   turns   out   "space   generalists"   who   then   go   on   to further training in specific fields of space operations. Through   the   years,   students   at   Lowry   have   studied   aerial   photography,   photography   in   general,   armaments,   contracting   and other   logistical   services   required   by   the   military,   cooking,   avionics,   electronics,   precision   measurement   (Metrology,   PMEL)      and the list runs on. When   and   where   appropriate   groups   of   students,   regardless   of   their   branch   of   service,   began   attending   classes   at   other branch   locations   in   an   attempt   to   maintain   effective   training   costs   for   the   government.   Like   other   bases   throughout   the military, Lowry became a multi-service training base. Marine Corps The   Marine   Corps   Detachment   at   Lowry   is   perhaps   the   youngest   as   well   as   oldest. The   detachment   was   activated   Sept   1,   1979, yet one of the first students to train and graduate exclusively at Lowry was a Marine, Cpl. James F. Dalton. In   1979   there   were   already   a   number   of   Marines   studying   at   Lowry.   The   Corps   established   the   detachment   to   formalize   the training   relationship   that   existed   since   1938.      Marines   were   ordered   to   Lowry   for   a   variety   of   courses   such   as   advanced electronics   maintenance   calibration,   Mark   IV   transterm   systems   operations   and   maintenance,   various   photography   courses, contract   administration,   and   much   more,   agreed   Gunnery   Sgt.   Kenneth   Goddard   and   Sgt   Donald   Cabral,   both   assigned   to   the detachment. Marines   began   attending   Precision   Measuring   Equipment   Lab   (Metrology)   courses   at   Lowry   in   1974   under   a   two   year   test program.   The   effort   was   successful,   the   Marines   continued   to   study   PMEL   curriculum   until   the   courses   were   closed   at   Lowry   in 1994. The   Corps   sent   their   first   students   to   Lowry   in   1975   for   the   Production   Documentation   Apprentice   school,   and,   Marines   have been students of the Mark IV Transterm Systems Operations and Maintenance school since it was established in July 1982. PFC   Jennifer   L.   Williams,   according   to   detachment   officials,   was   the   final   Marine   to   graduate   from   a   course   at   Lowry.      She   was a   student   of   the   Graphics   Specialist   Course.   Detachment   Commander   Capt.   Benjamin   R.   Braden   and   his   staff   formally   ended Marine operations at Lowry on June 30, 1994. U. S. Army The   U.   S. Army   has   the   longest   joint   training   relationship   at   Lowry   —   57   years,   since   the Air   Force   was   technically   part   of   the Army   in   1938.   However,   the   Army   Air   Force   became   a   separate   military   service,   the   United   States   Air   Force,   in   September   of 1947. Most   recently,   U.   S.   Army   Signal   School   Detachment   officials   rekindled   the   training   relationship   at   Lowry   by   establishing   the Army   Administrative   Detachment   in   1974,   said   Sgt.   1st   Class   Timothy   Dixon,   detachment   First   Sergeant.   The   name   was changed in 1975 to U. S. Army Detachment. At   the   detachment,   the   senior   Army   officer   served   as   commander   and   deputy   director   for   the   Defense   Audiovisual   Training, School   of Applied Aerospace   Sciences.   Eventually,   the   senior Army   officer’s   position   was   changed   to   Deputy   Commander   of   the 3430th Technical Training Group, which in 1978 merged with the 3420th Technical Training Group. The   Calibrations   Specialist   Course   moved   to   Lowry   from   Aberdeen   Proving   Ground,   Md.   in   1974.   The   move   brought   not   only instructors, but a multi-service enrollment to Lowry as well. Three   years   later,   the   Army   moved   their   television   repair,   still   photographic,   motion   picture   photographic   and   audio   and television   production   courses   to   Lowry   from   Fort   Monmouth,   N   J.   Other   changes   within   Army   technical   training   were   in   the future. "The   Army   Signal   Corps   NCO   Academy   arrived   here   in   1983,”   said   Dixon.      Both   the   basic   and   advanced   noncommissioned officer   courses   have   been   taught   here   since. These   professional   military   education   courses   drew   students   from   throughout   the Army to Lowry with intentions to refine their soldiering skills. Detachment   Commander   Capt.   Jeanne   E.   Lucey   and   her   staff   had   completely   packed   and   moved   on   to   Fort   Meade.   Md.,   by mid June 1994, said Dixon. U. S. Navy The   Navy   Unit   Lowry   was   created   at   the   Armed   Forces   Intelligence   Training   Center   March   17,1964,   said   YNC   S.   W.   Jenkins. "This was the beginning of the joint training partnership between the Navy and Air Force" at Lowry. Through   the   years   as   the   scope   of   the   Navy’s   role   in   the   Rocky   Mountain   region   expanded,   the   command's   name   was   changed to Navy Unit Lowry. “From   a   humble   start   centered   around   air   intelligence   courses,”   Jenkins   said,   “an   impressive   list   of   additional   courses   were brought into the Lowry training scope to complete what became a diverse curriculum." Sailors   at   Lowry   studied   advanced   electrical-electronic   measurements,   advanced   microwave   measurements   (Metrology), defense   meteorological   satellite   maintenance   intelligence   specialist   “A”   school,   broadcast   television   systems   maintenance, graphics,   and   disaster   preparedness.      Also,   sailors   enrolled   here   completed   biomedical   equipment   technician   basic   and advanced courses at nearby Fitzsimons Army Medical Center The   Lowry-based   Naval   Unit   had   been   at   Lowry   for   more   than   30   years   to   administer   and   assist,   where   necessary,   sailors   at Lowry   for   training   as   well   as   those   under   treatment   at   such   military   organizations   as   directed   by   the   chief   of   Naval   Education and Training. The Naval Unit ended its heritage on June 30, 1994 when the unit closed. Across the globe Standardizing   and   consolidating   training   among   the   four   military   services   makes   sense,   but   what   about   United   States'   Allies? Yes,   students   from   at   least   60   nations   worldwide   have   trained   at   Lowry   through   the   years. Training   at   Lowry   has   been   afforded students   from   nations   around   the   world.   Some   of   the   nations   whose   students   trained   here   have   gone   on   to   become   potential adversaries. The   final   international   student   to   attend   training   at   Lowry   was   Egyptian   Lt.   Col.   Mohamed   Ahmed.   The   Egyptian   colonel   was at Lowry for the ground and weapons safety program management course. Ahmed was at the time a Mirage 2000 fighter pilot. Among   the   nations   to   have   military   members   studying   at   Lowry   AFB   are:   Argentina,   Australia,   Belgium,   Brazil,   Canada, People's   Republic   of   China,   Columbia,   Denmark,   Ecuador,   England,   Germany,   Greece,   Honduras,   India,   Indonesia,   Iran, Botswana,   Jordon,   Jamaica,   Egypt,   Burma, Tunisia,   Israel,   Italy,   Korea,   Lebanon,   Malaysia,   Mexico,   Netherlands,   Norway,   Peru, the    Philippines,    Portugal,    Saudi    Arabia,    Singapore,    Spain,    Sweden,    Switzerland,    Taiwan,    Madagascar,    Kenya,    Bahrain, Cameroon,   Thailand,   Turkey,   United   Arab   Emirates,   Yemen,   Zaire,   Zimbabwe,   Pakistan,   Qatar,   Solomon   Islands,   Senegal, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Japan, Kuwait, Bangladesh, and South Vietnam. In   1990   more   than   25,000   students   from   all   services   and   35   foreign   nations   attended   Lowry's   440   courses. The   Lowry Airman   in its last issue, April 29, 1994, stated “more than 1.1 million students were trained since 1938”. The   following   pages   are   dedicated   to   Lowry   Field’s   training   activities,   i.   e.,   Schools,   established   in   1937   and   continuing through   1994   at   what   had   become   known   as   Lowry Air   Force   Base.   We   began   with   the   first   two   schools, Armament   and   Photo, and will add additional schools as materials are developed. [Material   for   this   page   extracted   from   an   article   appearing   in   “The   Lowry Airman,   29 April   1994,”   authored   by   TSgt.   Doyle   Tillman,   Contributing   Writer;   The   Pursuit   of Excellence    (A    History    of    Lowry    Air    Force    Base,    1937-1987);    and    from    the    Wings    Over    the    Rockies    Air    &    Space    Museum    Research    Library,    George    Blood, Archivist/Researcher.]
Last Updated: 01/06/2018  08:48
Originally Published: 01/12/2017  08:04
                                  (Additional schools will follow)
Lowry AFB The History

Schools

Training   is   a   necessity   for   all   fields   of   endeavor.   Training soldiers,   sailors,   Marines,   airmen   and   a   host   of   international students   has   been   Lowry   AFB’s   forte   for   57   years.   Airmen have    trained    at    Lowry    since    the    citizens    of    Denver    first persuaded   the   War   Department   to   open   a   technical   training base   here   during   the   1930’s,   ultimately   making   available   not only     the     880     acres     of     land     comprising     the     original Sanitorium,   but   also   960   acres   six   miles   to   the   east   as   an auxiliary    landing    field,    which    became    known    as    Buckley Field,   on   19   June   1941.   An   additional   64,000   acres   about twenty   miles   to   the   southeast   was   also   acquired   to   be   used as   the   Armament   School’s   bombing   range   for   the   Armament School   which   would   be   transferred   to   Lowry   from   Chanute Field. The   Denver   Branch   of   the   Air   Corps   Technical   Schools   was located   in   the   old   Sanitorium   buildings.   Conversion   of   these buildings   into   a   military   facility   commenced   on   4   October 1937    with    the    renovation    of    existing    structures    and    the construction    of    runways.    Captain    Stetson    served    as    the Construction    Quartermaster    and    supervised    the    WPA-era civilian   work   force.   He   retained   the   position   of   Officer-in- Charge   (OIC)   until   the   arrival   of   Lt.   Col.   Junius   W.   Jones   who had   been   the   Commandant   of   the   school   at   Chanute   Field. Colonel   Junius   Jones   became   the   first   Commanding   Officer of   the   Denver   Training   Branch   on   7   February   1938.   A   train pulled    into    Denver’s    Union    Station    five    days    later    from Chanute   Field   bringing   300   people   and   equipment   for   the Armament and Photographic Departments. Activation   ceremonies   were   held   on   26   February   1938   in   the Headquarters   Building   with   lunch   provided   by   the   Denver Chamber of Commerce for the Air Corps officers. The   Photographic   Department   staff   consisted   of   54   enlisted men   and   6   officers,   with   60   students   in   attendance.   The Armament    Department    had    100    enlisted    men    and    10 officers,   with   170   students.   The   first   of   the   school’s   B-18 Bolo    bombers    had    arrived    at    nearby    Denver    Municipal (Stapleton   International)   Airport.   With   all   the   component parts   in   place   the   school’s   first   classes   began   at   0800   on   the morning    of    Monday,    28    February    1938    with    events    being somewhat   disrupted   by   one   of   the   Field’s   training   aircraft dropping   the   first   load   of   bombs   on   the   auxiliary   landing field six miles east of the main base. The   first   photographic   studies   class   of   10   men,   nine Army Air Corps   soldiers   and   a   Marine,   that   began   and   completed   a course   at   Lowry   Field   graduated   on   June   29th,   1938.   There was,   however,   a   graduation   at   Lowry   before   the   photo   class. Ten    Armament    students    studying    at    Chanute    Field    were caught   in   the   school’s   transitioning   to   Lowry   Field.   They were   sent   to   Lowry   to   complete   their   training.   These   ten Armament    students    graduated    from    Lowry’s    Armament School on 19 March 1938. During   World   War   II,   Lowry's   courses   focused   on   photography, armaments   and   B-29   crew   training.   Classes   were   taught   24 hours-a-day,   with   850   graduates   each   week.   By   the   end   of the   war,   more   than   41,000   students   per   year   passed   through Lowry's gates. The   beginning   of   the   Korean   Conflict   in   1950   meant   a   return to   a   'round-the-clock,   three-shift,   six   day-   a-week   training schedule,    and    new    technology    meant    Lowry    was    now teaching courses in rocket propulsion and missile guidance. On    July    11,    1955    the    Air    Force    Academy    was    formally dedicated   and   began   operations   at   Lowry.      The   AFA   would remain   at   Lowry   until   1958   when   its   permanent   home   in Colorado Springs was completed. In   February   1987,   Lowry   graduated   its   first   class   of   the   Air Force's    newest    major    training    program,    Undergraduate Space   Training    (UST).    Similar    to    undergraduate    pilot    and navigator   training,   UST   turns   out   "space   generalists"   who then   go   on   to   further   training   in   specific   space   operations fields. Through   the   years,   students   at   Lowry   have   studied   aerial photography,       photography       in       general,       armaments, contracting    and    other    logistical    services    required    by    the military,       cooking,       avionics,       electronics,       precision measurement   (Metrology,   PMEL)      and   the   list   runs   on.   To keep   military   training   cost   effective,   the   military   services send recruits to training bases operated by other services. Like   other   bases   throughout   the   military,   Lowry   became   a multi-service   training   base.   Military   leadership   knows   the value    of    technical    training,    yet    to    keep    training    cost effective   for   the   government   groups   students   regardless   of service for classes. Marine Corps The    Marine    Corps    Detachment    at    Lowry    is    perhaps    the youngest   as   well   as   oldest.   The   detachment   was   activated Sept   1,   1979,   yet   one   of   the   first   students   to   train   and graduate   exclusively   at   Lowry   was   a   Marine,   Cpl.   James   F. Dalton. In   1979   there   were   already   a   number   of   Marines   studying   at Lowry.   The   Corps   established   the   detachment   to   formalize the   training   relationship   that   existed   since   1938.      Marines were    ordered    to    Lowry    for    a    variety    of    courses    such    as advanced    electronics    maintenance    calibration,    Mark    IV transterm    systems    operations    and    maintenance,    various photography    courses,    contract    administration,    and    much more,   agreed   Gunnery   Sgt.   Kenneth   Goddard   and   Sgt   Donald Cabral, both assigned to the detachment. Marines   began   attending   precision   measuring   equipment   lab (Metrology)    courses    here    in    1974    under    a    two    year    test program.     The     effort     was     successful,     because     Marines continued   to   study   PMEL   curriculum   until   the   courses   were closed at Lowry. The   Corps   sent   their   first   students   to   Lowry   in   1975   for   the production      documentation   apprentice   school,   and,   Marines have    been    students    of    the    Mark    IV    transterm    systems operations   and   maintenance   school,   since   it   was   established in July 1982. PFC   Jennifer   L.   Williams,   according   to   detachment   officials, was   the   final   Marine   to   graduate   a   course   at   Lowry.      She   was a    student    of    the    graphics    specialist    course.    Detachment Commander    Capt.    Benjamin    R.    Braden    and    his    staff    will formally end Marine operations here June 30, 1994. U. S. Army The   U.   S.   Army   has   the   longest   joint   training   relationship   at Lowry   —   57   years,   since   the Air   Force   was   technically   part   of the   Army   in   1938,   but   the   Air   Force   became   a   separate military service in September 1947. Most   recently,   U.   S.   Army   Signal   School   Detachment   officials rekindled   the   training   relationship   here   by   establishing   the Army   Administrative   Detachment   in   1974,   said   Sgt.   1st   Class Timothy   Dixon,   detachment   first   sergeant.   The   name   was changed in 1975 to U. S. Army Detachment. At    the    detachment,    the    senior    Army    officer    served    as commander   and   deputy   director   for   the   Defense   Audiovisual Training,   School   of   Applied   Aerospace   Sciences.   Eventually, the   senior   Army   officer’s   position   was   changed   to   deputy commander   of   the   3430th   Technical   Training   Group,   which   in 1978 merged with the 3420th Technical Training Group. The    calibrations    specialist    course    moved    to    Lowry    from Aberdeen   Proving   Ground,   Md.   in   1974.   The   move   brought not   only   instructors,   but   a   multi-service   enrollment   to   Lowry as well. Three   years   later,   the   Army   moved   their   television   repair, still   photographic,   motion   picture   photographic   and   audio and    television    production    courses    to    Lowry    from    Fort Monmouth,    N    J.    Other    changes    within    Army    technical training were in the future. "The   Army   Signal   Corps   NCO   Academy   arrived   here   in   1983,” said   Dixon.      Both   the   basic   and   advanced   noncommissioned officer     courses     have     been     taught     here     since.     These professional   military   education   courses   drew   students   from throughout    the   Army    to    Lowry    to    refine    their    soldiering skills. Detachment   Commander   Capt   Jeanne   E.   Lucey   and   her   staff will   have   completely   packed   and   moved   on   to   Fort   Meade. Md., by mid June 1994, said Dixon. U. S. Navy The    Navy    Unit    Lowry    was    created    at    the   Armed    Forces Intelligence   Training   Center   March   17,1964,   said   YNC   S.   W. Jenkins.    "This    was    the    beginning    of    the    joint    training partnership between the Navy and Air Force" at Lowry. Through   the   years   as   the   scope   of   the   Navy’s   role   in   the Rocky   Mountain   region   expanded,   the   command's   name   was changed to Navy Unit Lowry. “From    a    humble    start    centered    around    air    intelligence courses,”    Jenkins    said,    “an    impressive    list    of    additional courses    were    brought    into    the    Lowry    training    scope    to complete what became a diverse curriculum." Sailors    at    Lowry    studied    advanced    electrical-electronic measurements,       advanced       microwave       measurements (Metrology),   defense   meteorological   satellite   maintenance intelligence    specialist    “A”    school,    broadcast    television systems   maintenance,   graphics,   and   disaster   preparedness.     Also,   sailors   enrolled   here   completed   biomedical   equipment technician   basic   and   advanced   courses   at   nearby   Fitzsimons Army Medical Center The   Lowry-based   Naval   Unit   has   been   at   Lowry   for   more than   30   years   to   administer   and   assist,   where   necessary, sailors   here   for   training   as   well   as   those   under   treatment   at such   military   organizations   as   directed   by   the   chief   of   Naval Education and Training. The   Naval   Unit   will   end   its   heritage   June   30,   1994   when   the unit closes. Across the globe Standardizing    and    consolidating    training    among    the    four military   services   makes   sense,   but   what   about   United   States' Allies?   Yes,   students   from   at   least   60   nations   worldwide   have trained   at   Lowry   through   the   years.   Training   at   Lowry   has been   afforded   students   from   nations   around   the   world.   Some of   the   nations   whose   students   trained   here   have   gone   on   to become potential adversaries. The   final   international   student   to   attend   training   at   Lowry was   Egyptian   Lt.   Col.   Mohamed Ahmed. The   Egyptian   colonel was   at   Lowry   for   the   ground   and   weapons   safety   program management   course.   Ahmed   was   at   the   time   a   Mirage   2000 fighter pilot. Among   the   nations   to   have   military   members   studying   at Lowry    AFB     are:    Argentina,    Australia,     Belgium,     Brazil, Canada,    People's    Republic    of    China,    Columbia,    Denmark, Ecuador,     England,     Germany,     Greece,     Honduras,     India, Indonesia,   Iran,   Botswana,   Jordon,   Jamaica,   Egypt,   Burma, Tunisia,    Israel,    Italy,    Korea,    Lebanon,    Malaysia,    Mexico, Netherlands,   Norway,   Peru,   the   Philippines,   Portugal,   Saudi Arabia,    Singapore,    Spain,    Sweden,    Switzerland,    Taiwan, Madagascar,    Kenya,    Bahrain,    Cameroon,   Thailand,   Turkey, United   Arab   Emirates,   Yemen,   Zaire,   Zimbabwe,   Pakistan, Qatar,   Solomon   Islands,   Senegal,   Morocco,   Nigeria,   Oman, Japan, Kuwait, Bangladesh, and South Vietnam. In   1990   more   than   25,000   students   from   all   services   and   35 foreign   nations   attended   Lowry's   440   courses.   The   Lowry Airman   in   its   last   issue,   April   29,   1994,   stated   “more   than 1.1 million students were trained since 1938”. The   following   pages   are   dedicated   to   Lowry   Field’s   training activities,   i.   e.,   Schools,   established   in   1937   and   continuing through   1994   at   what   had   become   known   as   Lowry Air   Force Base.   We   began   with   the   first   two   schools,   Armament   and Photo,    and    will    add    additional    schools    as    materials    are developed. [Material    for    this    page    extracted    from    an    article    appearing    in    “The    Lowry Airman,   29   April   1994,”   authored   by   TSgt.   Doyle   Tillman,   Contributing   Writer; The   Pursuit   of   Excellence   (A   History   of   Lowry   Air   Force   Base,   1937-1987);   and from   the   Wings   Over   the   Rockies   Air   &   Space   Museum   Research   Library,   George Blood, Archivist/Researcher.]
Page Last Updated: 01/06/2018  08:53